Victoria- anywhere, any year

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by H8_modern, May 6, 2016.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

1837, Ascension of Victoria by Halliday

[​IMG]

PaddyB, J.A.K. and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, never seen one before.

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just won this beauty at "Coin Cabinet Auction"
    AV 1/2 Sovereign 1866 Victoria YH/ Shield
    Die # 23 19.3mm. 4.00 grams London Mint 52762.l.jpg

5. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Here are a couple I haven't posted before. Still using seller's pix, as my camera is still in the shop. How about that almost black tone on the penny?
    1862 Half Penny obv.jpg 1862 Half Penny rev.jpg 1898 Penny obv.jpg 1898 Penny rev.jpg

J.A.K. likes this.
  6. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Nice one. I too got one I've been after for a while. QV's first year issue. 1838 AU Obv.jpg 1838 Rev AU.jpg

panzerman, Alegandron, J.A.K. and 4 others like this.
  7. 1934 Wreath Crown

Australia 1887M St. George MS61

Australia 1887M St George Obv.jpg Australia 1887M St George Rev.jpg

panzerman, Alegandron, J.A.K. and 2 others like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This, and your other coin, point out something interesting about British coinage. What is the denomination of the coin? I guess you were supposed to pick up the denomination of the coin by the size and the material (some early US coinage also doesn't bear denomination) but does anyone know 1) What date did British coinage start to have a stated denomination and 2) What date did British coinage start bearing a date?

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

Interesting question. A little bit of research indicates that before the 20th Century most GB coins did not have any value stated on them. I guess they were recognized by their size, material and weight.

The largest silver coin (The Crown) had a value 5 shillings (60 pence) or 1/4 of a pound although it was about an ounce in weight. Then you had the half, full, double Sovereign and the 5 sovereign or 5 Pound in 22k Gold. The gold sovereign weighed 7.98 grams and represents one pound of silver. Generally the collectors like the sovereign most, hence they usually carry a premium even though, by definition, they weigh half the weight of a double sovereign.

The first date was introduced by Edward VI, son of Henry VIII in 1549 (MDXLIX) and he also introduced values (in Roman numerals) on some of his coins though not all of them. His coinage was also the first to bear dates in Arabic numerals (modern English numbers) as opposed to Roman numerals.

I don't think that the practice of putting dates on all United Kingdom coins existed prior to the 17th Century. The coins issued during the rule of Oliver Cromwell (mid 17th Century) do however bear dates and all subsequent coinage followed this practice.

And lets not talk about the earlier Angle, Noble, Ryal, Guinea and Testoons etc. etc. :)

Both the coins I have posted are sovereigns which weigh 7.98 grams of 22k purity.

Confused??? So am I and I collect these coins :)

10. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

81110873_Large.jpg
    Fresh from PCGS - c1844 Model Penny, AU55. I love this example with the die cracks and cud on the outer ring. Victoria and the "1" were fairly gross when I got this one, but I carefully conserved it before submitting - thrilled to see it come back so nice!

J.A.K. and Mat like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, I've been eyeing one for myself recently.

jester3681 likes this.
  12. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

• These are from an old "Unusual Coins" reference that I have. I know the prices are not acurate, but it lists lots of "Model xx" coins Model Penny p1.jpg Model penny p2.jpg Model Penny p1.jpg Model penny p2.jpg

jester3681, coin_nut and PaddyB like this.
  13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Thanks Bill in Burl for posting those! Very useful. They came through as pages 1 and 2 posted twice each - were there actually pages 3 and 4 as well? I would like to keep copies for reference...

14. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

No, there was just P1 & 2 in what I posted. A later edition of the reference ""Unusual World Coins" by Cuhaj & Michael, has more pages of other types of "Model coinage"with those "Prince of Wales" like I posted either dated 18844 & 1848, or just minted then with no date. There were also other Model coins made called 'Medallic Coinage", some in Proof, from 1860 and 1887. The book, is supposed to be used as a companion book to the other Krause World Coin books .. this is a Krause publication.

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks for posting that. I wondered why I saw some with what looked like "core only" and the bu-metallic. I just wanted one of the type, didn't expect a whole series of them.

I like X25 out of the ones featured.

16. PaddyB

Great - thanks for the update. I see quite a few of these in the UK but have always lacked a reference for them - I will keep an eye out for that book.
    A few years back I bought a set of 5 - 1/32th to 1/2 Farthing but a fellow collector who was very much into these things persuaded me to sell them to him. :-(

17. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

A couple of Victoria Florins I recently sold. GB23.jpg GB24.jpg

coin_nut, jj00 and PaddyB like this.
  18. Helon Earth

Helon Earth New Member

WOW you boy's make me so Jealous. What a wonderful collection of Victoriana and the British empire at its best.
    Stiff upper lip and all that (pass the teapot & crumpets)
    What a great thread. Well done all of you xx spiffing..what!
    Any "Brexit" fans out there??
    Looking forward to "our" independence day anyone??

19. PaddyB

Welcome Helon! Glad to see another Brit on this forum.

Yes, we do get to see some wonderful Victoriana here. Not all are regular coins - here is a group of "Cumberland Jacks" I acquired recently. They were created in the early 19th century in protest at the Duke of Cumberland becoming Elector of Hannover at a time when the Germans were not that popular in the UK, (Sound familiar?)

I have to say I am a Brexit fan and have been for 20 years or more. I have always felt the UK has the economic and cultural strength to do well in the World market without surrendering most of our sovereignty to Eurocrats in Brussels. So far we seem to be proving that belief correct!
    Jacks 2.jpg Jacks 1.jpg

jj00, Helon Earth and J.A.K. like this.
  20. 1934 Wreath Crown

Cor Blimey That's quite a name you picked Hell-on-Earth Ha ha. Hope its not really THAT bad. Hope to see more interesting posts from you with photos of your GB collection. I'm sure you'll find lots here that'll take your fancy!!! :)

Helon Earth likes this.
  21. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Well, at least Victoria came through it unscathed!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted