Vichy French State Issue.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by alurid, May 15, 2017.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I recently aquired these two coins. There was like 8 to choose from, so I picked out the best and the worst ones I could find. Did a little research and Numista says these were minted in Hanoi mint for Vichy France during the German occupation. I would guess that they were not to concerned about the quality of these coins, which is understandable. IMO, The dies that produced these were used way past there "Worn Die" stage. But given the situation in which these were manufactured, Would you still call them Error Coins?
    These two are in uncirculated mint condition. Anyone think they will grade at MS-65?
    DSC05486.JPG DSC05487.JPG

lordmarcovan and Stork like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Don't know about the question but I do find it interesting that my 5 Cent. has a similar semi concentric line that is most obvious in your picture over the word Cent. on the left.

French Indo China Vichy 5 Centimes.JPG

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting a photo of your coin. It has a near complete Die Crack all the way around about ¼ in from the edge. As does mine but different. It is good to have another coin to compare with. I hope more will post there coins.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The coins issued in Syria and Lebanon during 1942-3 were very similarly crude.

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I would go farther than that and say they were much cruder. I would post some photos but don't want to derail alurid's thread.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Please post any photos, I would like to see them. I think this is more about the the coins of this era. They are unique due to there history.

Muzyck likes this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here are some Syria and Lebanon provisional WWII coins. Sorry for the cruddy photos.

Lebanon

Lebanon 1  Piastre obverse.JPG Lebanon 1  Piastre reverse.JPG
    Lebanon half  Piastre obverse.JPG Lebanon half  Piastre reverse.JPG
    Lebanon 2 5  Piastre obverse.JPG Lebanon 2 5  Piastre reverse.JPG

Syria

Syria provisional obverse.JPG Syria provisional reverse.JPG

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Those are quite crude, Thanks for showing them. These type of coins seem to be multi-errored.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cool coins in this thread.

I really wouldn't call them "errors" - just crudely made.

Muzyck likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Interesting. Until now I did not know the Vichy state had struck coins for the colonies.

Draft saved Draft deleted