Vespasian's Providence

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, May 24, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Vespasian was very fond of reviving coin types from earlier eras. My latest arrival is a good example of such, nothing fancy, just a well worn common as. I love coins such as this, they have a lot of history behind them.

V1200 (2).jpg
    Vespasian
    Æ As, 11.19g
    Lyon mint, 72 AD
    RIC 1200 (C). BMC 820.
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIAN AVG COS IIII; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.; globe at point of bust
    Rev: PROVIDENT in exergue; S C in field; Altar
    Ex Museum Surplus, May 2019.

Originally, Tiberius struck the Provident altar type for Divus Augustus. The altar depicted is dedicated to Providentia, the personification of the emperor's divine providence. Although the type is commonly described as an altar, Marvin Tameanko has convincingly argued it is actually a sacellum, or small shrine. This popular type was later revived during the Civil War by Galba and Vitellius. Vespasian began striking it early in his reign both at Rome and Lyon. This common example is from the latter mint, struck in 72.

Post your altars, small shrines, or Providentia coins!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very kool David!:)..i was noticing Titus coins that were as such a few days ago

David Atherton likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I only have a Domitian as / SALVTI AVGVST SC.
    rb1510bb0754.jpg

Jwt708, TIF, David Atherton and 6 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Pleasing coin, @David Atherton ! Here's my most interesting Providentia:

[​IMG]
    Maximian, post-abdication, AD 305-306
    Roman billon follis, 8.26 g, 25 mm, 1 h.
    Antioch, AD 305-306.
    Obv: D N MAXIMIANO FELICISSIMO SEN AVG, laureate bust, right, wearing consular robes and holding branch and mappa.
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG, Providentia standing right, extending right hand to Quies standing left, holding down-facing branch and resting on scepter; I in field between them, ANT: in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 77b, Cohen 489, RCV 13414.

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice buy David, Museum Surplus has some good coins occasionally, I have one like yours but had to strip it to treat for BD. Vespasian (800x396).jpg Vespasian Rome 71 AD, 24mm, 10.7g. Large Altar/Enclosure.

Jwt708, Johndakerftw, Bing and 5 others like this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice addition David Atherton. I do not own a coin of the flavians with the altar/shrine, but i have the 'orignal' one by Tiberius, for Augustus. And haven't heard of Museum Surplus before. (Don't worry, i won't go shopping there ;-))

06 Augustus met tekst.jpg

Jwt708, Johndakerftw, Jay GT4 and 3 others like this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

You should. There are a lot of decently priced coins there.

Jay GT4 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted