Vespasian Rostral Column

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My latest Vespasian acquisition is more commonly found for Titus than his father. Rare. Continuing the Flavian theme of restoring historic coin types from the late Republic and early principate, this coin depicts the rostral column erected in honour of Octavian's victory over Sextus Pompey at the Battle of Naulochus. The column displayed the bronze rams of Pompey's captured ships and was surmounted by a gilded honorific statue. This coin has some surface problems, but I can live with that.
    Vespasian 12.jpg
    VESPASIAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: TR POT X COS VIIII, radiate figure standing on rostral column, holding scepter
    Struck at Rome, 79AD
    2.9g, 18mm
    Sear 2311. BMC 254. RIC 1065 (RIC [1962] 119)
    ex Warren Esty

Post your Vespasian or any coin related.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Interesting coin. Is the surface brittle? It looks like there are two chunks about to pop off.
    Pretty scarce coin, and very appealing reverse.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I suppose if I pried it some, those chunks would come off. But they appear stable.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, i've got to get another vespassian...so i can't post something besides this on the vespy threads.

[​IMG]

cool coin, reminds me of the trajans column coins that have been posted here recently. be careful with that one bing, don't drop it! looks delicate.

i've droped an coin and had it break in two...it was a turd of a LRB...so it didn't matter.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I do LOVE that reverse BING!!!

I have a Vespasian that I'm 'lusting' after on bid at this very moment....but with the 'Capricorn' reverse.

So I'll post one I just won at a previous Agora auction---and one you already have and inspired me to get---so this seems the logical place to post it:D

In keeping with the threads theme of "restoring historic types from the late republic..." here's an RR denarius:

L Tuturius L.f. Sabinus; 89 BC Rome Mint
    AR denarius, 18,5 mm; 3.88 grams
    SABIN Bare head of Titius right, TA monogram to right of chin
    L.TITRIVI, two soldiers facing each other, each carrying off a Sabine woman
    22000 (1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice addition Bing! This type was one of the first I purchased of the old soldier many, many years ago. A few years later I was able to add this wonderful left facing version.

V1066.jpg

Harold Mattingly proposed that the reverse depicts the colossus, with the features of Nero or Titus, which was erected near the then uncompleted Colosseum in 75 AD (BMCRE p. xlii). However, I think you are correct that the it is nothing more than a restored type.

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Vespasian.jpg
    Mine - not rare, but special since it was my first ancient coin:
    Vespasian/Pax seated

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice coin Greg! Funnily enough, my first ever ancient coin was this exact same Pax type struck by Vespasian too! Purchased from a now defunct online dealer who sold me my first dozen or so ancients.

Mikey Zee and GregH like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Here's mine. Seller's picture. It captures the coin well enough and I was unable to take a picture I was really happy with.

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I think I will join the Vespasian party.
    vespasian combined.jpeg

TIF, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

"Some surface problems" is a bit of an understatement, lol. But you won't find me disparaging an historically important coin because of it! Nice find.

David Atherton and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, not to be left without a Vespasian post, I will once again include my denarius with the 'caduceus' reverse.

And, it seems that 'wonderful' Capricorn reverse type I'm interested in might be a 'replica'...I guess once it's clear (I notified several 'experts' for clarification, besides performing some usual personal 'due diligence') I'll include it in a future thread......
    DSCF0688.JPG DSCF0686.JPG

TIF, Jwt708, David Atherton and 5 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one! I'm very fond of this reverse, though I always feel the picture needs to be rotated a little to make the Winged Guitar look appropriately rock n' roll...

image.jpeg

Bing, Jwt708, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Holy smokes, big bro => that is an amazing new Vespasian ...

=> "radiate figure standing on rostral column, holding scepter"

Ummm, are you fricken kidding me? => man, that coin rocks!! (congrats)

Hey, I may not even post my Vespasian example?!!

ahahahaha sorry, I couldn't keep a straight-face ...

Here is my example (oh, and thanks for the photo-update, JA)

vespasian JA photos.jpg

:rolleyes:

Bing, Mikey Zee, TIF and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted