Vespasian Presentation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I'm planning to display these at my church
    Some of my other sub-collections will be included in the exhibit. Coins of Antioch, Judaea, Indo-Scythian Kingdom, and Nabataean Kingdom. This is a great alternative to slabbing in fact I'm considering freeing some of my slabbed coins and relocating them to these Ligh
    thouse® display capsules and boxes.

VESPASIAN PRESENTATION.jpg

inside.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Attractive and inspiring.

4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Do the coins slide around in those capsules, or is there some way that they stay put in the center of the capsule? I don't have any experience with this storage system.

jamesicus and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Hi Gavin—The decorative background squares are mounted on acid free museum board which is approximately 1/16 inch thick. Light pressure from the lid keeps them from shifting. They would probably shift if they were jarred but with gentle handling :angelic: to and from the church display case they should be fine.

jamesicus and Gavin Richardson like this.
  6. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Hi Deacon Ray, Your displays look great. Whenever you post them I always seem to have a question for you as a resident Judaean expert. This coin is on ebay and by a notorious fake seller. It looks fake to me, the palm looks very spindly & thin. It does not openly say it is either an authentic ancient or a replica. He has a turtle stat coinrevoltbrKfake.jpg coinrevoltbarkfake.jpg er also he is selling for pretty cheap for an authentic one and likewise it is not labeled either way. I have never seen a Bar Kochba coin for this little money(140) and so I am figuring it is fake. I do take notice of these since it really is the only coin I am interested in but they are so very pricey. What do you think? His description is actually an html link to a real one at coinarchives that sold for $950. "Judaea, The Bar Kokhba War (132-135 CE). AE 19; Judaea, The Bar Kokhba War (132-135 CE); 132-133 CE, AE 19, Meshorer-147, Hendin-1380a. Obv: "Elezar the priest" across field with seven-branched palm tree with two bunches of dates. Rx: "Year one of the redemption of Israel" Bunch of grapes with branch and small leaf."
    ($950) Here is the photo of the real one linked to:
    coinarchivedrealBKrevolt.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Beautiful. What determined the order or placement of the coins within the display? It is unusual to see the posthumous coin placed first.

No one asked me but I am strongly of the opinion that anyone that buys anything from a known notorious fake seller (real, fake or non coin) is asking to be cheated and probably deserves it. The goal is to put these guys out of business not to fund their kids' college funds.

8. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

I agree
    Doug, I agree, I guess I just haven't yet got used to how they get away with what they do. I know I am preaching to the choir here.

jamesicus and GerardV like this.
  9. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Another amazing display.

jamesicus likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Personally, ANY DOUBT.... PASS. PERIOD. Too many other reputable sellers on eBay and other venues. I agree whole-heartedly with Doug. I always "Vote with my Feet", I will not visit a site / store / seller, etc. that have known fakes or are cheating folks. I won't even consider them if I have that kind of knowledge.

11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Do you print the white text, yellow borders, and coin pictures directly onto the pinkish colored stock (paper)?

Looks great, BTW -- you have an exceptional ability to visualize (and execute) attractive and well-organized displays.

Deacon Ray and Andres2 like this.
  12. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray.

The word that keeps coming to mind is

Handsome!

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow, those are stunning! :wideyed:

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Pardon me @Deacon Ray : Your OP Presentation is OUTSTANDING. I love it. Well done. YOUR method of slabbing is the BEST! :)

I like @IdesOfMarch01 question if you print a pic of the coin directly on the salmon colored card stock...

jamesicus, GerardV and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

This exhibit is going to be totally boss! :cool:

Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time.gif

Erin

jamesicus, RAGNAROK, GerardV and 3 others like this.
  16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A most attractive display! I like that it is for educational purposes.

Also, it is much more preferable to slabbing!

17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I was wondering that as well. I do like how the reference attributions have been left out of the descriptions. They would of course mean nothing to the intended audience.

18. Deacon Ray

Thank you for your inspiring comments! Answering Mr. @dougsmit h's question about the order of the coins. The order was for visual reasons only. I placed the shiniest denarii with the longest captions on the top. Actually the Capricorn denarius would look better on the second row of the layout. To answer Mr. @IdesOfMarch01 question—all of the color is printed on premium white stock and then mounted on museum board (acid free mat board) with double sided peel and stick photo adhesive. The panels are then trimmed to size. It's a lot a fun and provides me with a great creative outlet. I have the brass plaques made up by my friends at the local "Things Remembered" shop.

jamesicus, RAGNAROK, GerardV and 2 others like this.
  19. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding.

So, the salmon color itself is also printed? That's a lot of ink if you use an inkjet printer -- are you using a color laser printer instead of inkjet?

20. Deacon Ray

Ides— No, I use my HP Inkjet on premium paper. The premium photo paper is the key. The Vespasian layout is ink heavy. Most of my layouts have sand or parchment backgrounds but I needed some stronger color for Vespasian.

Also—I listened to Respigi's movement IV—The Appian Way from The Pines of Rome while I was working on the layout. :singing:

jamesicus, RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Mike—I don't think you should purchase anything from this dealer and expect it to be authentic. I think many of his offerings are reproductions from a variety of sources. Some are museum replicas, some are student creations, and some may be authentic but there are many honorable dealers who will stand behind the authenticity of their coins. Don't waste your time and money on fraudulent merchandise and coins and dealers that you can't trust.

jamesicus, RAGNAROK and Mike Margolis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted