Vespasian addition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Apr 20, 2024.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just added this to my collection....

AV Aureus ND (75-79AD)

7.34g. 19.5mm. .998 12h.

Rome Mint

Laureate Bust facing Right

IMP CAESAR VESP AVG

Fortuna standing Left on Garlanded Altar/ holding Ship Rudder in Left Hand & Cornucopiae in Right Hand

FORTVNA AVGVST

Sear 2251 Cohen 174 Calicó 632 BMC 145 combined72399 (1).jpg RIC 682

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Wow. Nicely done. It is amazing!

Inspector43 and panzerman like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful!

Inspector43 and panzerman like this.
  5. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

I can tell just from the background that you bought it from that Dutch seller. :D

panzerman likes this.
  6. Croatian Coin Collector

Depending on how things go at the Aureo & Calico auction on Wednesday, I might finally add a gold coin from the original Roman Empire to my collection (I am bidding on lot 1033).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    panzerman likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have one aureus and a couple of solidi. I would like to more aurei, but the prices prevent that. Your piece is gorgeous, @panzerman!

panzerman likes this.
  8. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

speechless...

panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

I wish you success my friend!
    Yes/ that beauty came from Hentzen. Best thing I do not have to pay a cent for it. Spanish coollector who is buying my butterfly coll. is paying the invoice. Hentzen is a great dealer/ and a true gentleman!
    John

kountryken likes this.
  10. Croatian Coin Collector

Thank you:), but I am not at all optimistic about winning it, after the bids were updated today I looked up the situation with the Roman gold coin I am bidding on and I have already been up-bid to my maximum bid of 4000 EUR, which I don't plan on increasing.

I don't like his prices, which is why the Dutch Gold 6 Stuivers from 1770 is the only coin I have bought from him.

panzerman likes this.
  11. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Well, as soon as I read your opening line, I knew it would be dazzling. I just didn't know how dazzling? Now I do! Very good, my friend. So glad for you. Hate to hear that you've sold your butterfly collection, but, while I certainly appreciate the beauty of a butterfly, my heart is in coins, so I would probably make the same decision. However, it doesn't matter what I would do, it only matters what you want to do! Blessings, John, thanks for posting.

panzerman likes this.
  12. GarrettB

GarrettB Well-Known Member

Stunning coin, Panzerman. I think you've likely exceeded quite a few museums with your collection.
    I might aim for my first aureus this year. Like kountryken, I'm all about the coins now and I'd also trade my other collectables for coins (I've some first editions, like Robert Frost and Will Cather - some signed).

13. Croatian Coin Collector

They have updated it again and I am still in the lead, this is the coin I am bidding on:

1033.jpg

panzerman, Bing and kountryken like this.
  14. panzerman

It was really hard/ selling that first butterfly from my coll. Its easier now/ also nice that most will go to a really nice man in Spain.
    Thanks kountryken:)

kountryken likes this.
  15. panzerman

Thanks so much! I hope you get that first aureus!
    John

16. panzerman

Hope your bid holds!:)
    John

17. Croatian Coin Collector

Danke:), we should know in about 10 hours, my coin is the 33rd lot, and more than half of those before it are the cheap coins that usually sell or get passed within 10 seconds, so I expect that my coin will come up pretty fast once the auction starts.

kountryken and panzerman like this.
  18. Croatian Coin Collector

It held up:), I just won it. :cool:

Broucheion, panzerman and kountryken like this.
  19. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Congratulations! So glad for you. I'm not a collector of gold coins, I have 3 for my U.S. type set, and one of them was given to me by a friend. It's not that I don't like them, my wallet doesn't "support" them, lol. Again, so glad for you!!!

20. Croatian Coin Collector

Thank you sir:), I am very happy to have finally won a Roman gold coin, even more so because it is a coin of Marcus Aurelius:cool:, who is my favourite Roman Emperor (this coin was minted in Rome some 7-8 years (153 or 154) before he became Emperor in 161), and Aureo & Calico have said that once I pay for the coin and give my permission, they can remove the dirt from the coin, so it should arrive to me in nicer shape than in it is in the pictures. :happy:

21. panzerman

Nice to hear your news! I still need him/ but have AR denarius. I guess yout aureus was struck during Hadrians reign. Hope you get more aurei in future:):):):):):)

kountryken likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted