(Very) Young Collector and (Very) Old Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Feb 19, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So pretty much everyone here knows that Mrs Frog and I had our 4th baby about a month ago. You all kept me happily distracted and destressed as much as possible during the wait and subsequent hospital stay

After we left the hospital, things have been a bit of a blur. We went back in for 2 days and then because the tadpole was born early and small, we had to go see the doctor multiple times a week to check on his growth.

It's amazing that it has already been a month and 5 days. They have simultaneously gone surprisingly fast and agonizingly slow.

But now I am happy to report that CT's youngest collector is doing well. At his month check-up he weighed in at a beefy 6lbs 1oz.

So that is the Very Young part of this post...Now for the Very Old...

A few weeks ago, I got a congratulations PM from @Orfew where he asked if he could gift CT's newest member his first ancient coins. I happily agreed and a few days ago a package arrived in the mail. Needless to say, we were shocked when we saw the contents. 3 beautiful ancient coins from 3 different cultures as well as some other fun foreign coins.

FFIVN, his sister, and brother, FF3, loved the coins and were excited that FF4 now has a collection of his own.

And now for the part you were all waiting for...the coins (and a cute baby)!!

FF4 enjoying his collection and wondering what dad is doing...
    20220219_110745.jpg

Augustus, As, Moneyer M Maecilius Tullus.png
    Augustus
    AE As
    27 BC - 14 AD
    Obverse: CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX TRIBVNIC POT, bare head right
    Reverse: M MAECILIVS TVLLVS III VIR AAA F F, around large SC
    Notes: From Naville Numismatics auction which stated it was "From a Swiss collection from Tessin assembled in the 1920's"

Does anyone have information on who Tessin was?

Pharaates III, Drachm, Rhagai Mint.png
    Phraates III
    Kings of Parthia
    Drachm, Rhagai Mint
    69-57 BC
    Obverse: Long-bearded bust left wearing tiara (T39ii) decorated on side with horn and stags with prominent antlers around crest; circular border of pellets
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ - Beardless archer wearing bashlyk and cloak seated right on throne, holding bow in right hand; above bow, no border; six-line Greek inscription
    ex:
    @Theodosius

Emperor Wang Mang, 50 Zhu, Da Quan Wu Shih, Hartill 9.2.png
    Xin Dynasty
    Emperor Wang Mang
    7 - 23 AD
    AE Fifty Zhu
    Obverse: DA QUAN WU SHIH.
    Reverse: Blank, as made.
    Hartill 9.2

A fun mix of world coins. FFIVN especially likes the Stanley Cup quarter. Before receiving this package, we had decided that we would like to try collecting Canadian quarters and had ordered the Whitman folders which will arrive today :) Perfect timing!
    20220217_193032 (1).jpg

I can't thank @Orfew enough for his generosity or thank the rest of you for all the well wishes and thoughts. It really means a lot to our whole family. CT members truly are a great bunch of people.

Feel free to post anything that suits your fancy! Roman, Chinese, Parthian, world stuff. Whatever you like!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I've posted this before...."the genousity never ends here on CT. "

The random acts of kindness have been demonstrated here so many times by so many members.
    Thanks for sharing the image of tad pole ,and thanks to the members who go above and beyond to just make a difference.

+VGO.DVCKS, ominus1, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Well FF, congratulations for the newest member of the family and I am glad everything is fine with his health.
    From my latest auction, a coin that was not "scheduled" but I think it suits you very, very well
    upload_2022-2-19_19-2-54.png

5. furryfrog02

She looks exhausted from all those kids :p

+VGO.DVCKS, ominus1 and Lueds like this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I am so glad your little one is doing fine now, good looking baby.
    You should have some fun collecting the Canadian quarters, they are nice coins

Attached Files:

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Ignore the thumbnail, posted in error

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

So glad to hear the tadpole is doing well. And very nice coins to start his collection.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Great news all round! Pleased to hear the tadpole is well!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear that the tadpole is thriving. He looks very inquisitive, a great quality for a future numismatist! Love the coins, and kudos to @Orfew for his generosity.

Is this scene in your future?

Faustina II sestertius - Felicitas & six children.jpg

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ah, he's a dandy lQQkin' young man FF...and nice coins too and kudos to those who sent. :)...oh.hahaha! ><...i just went back and notice his 'buttons' on his outfit.:D

Paddy54 and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. furryfrog02

Hard to give this a like Donna....lol
    You tryin to kill me? Haha.
    That being said, Mrs Frog has mentioned wanting another girl. She doesn't like it being so lopsided with boys. :confused::dead:

DonnaML likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That’s your fault as the male determines the sex. Just tell her you’re give her another boy. Lol

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Glad to hear he's doing well! At his age, the one thing he can contribute to his numismatic knowledge is the taste test. (Be careful none of those coins go down his windpipe.) We raised four also - the last one is now a sophomore in high school. There is perhaps no more spiritually enriching and maturing an activity as raising a family. Good people like you should be breeding - your children will make society and civilization a better place for us all.

Theodosius, DonnaML and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Paddy54

You need to add 3 cats and two dogs and yeah thats what it would look like...lol

DonnaML likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

5 cats and 1 dog....and a 125 gallon fish tank ;)

DonnaML likes this.
  17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

F.F., Wow :jawdrop:. The kid has expensive taste already :D.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. furryfrog02

I will bring him back down to earth :)

19. Paddy54

Im quite certain that all won't fit....I stand corrected.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

What's with the three belly buttons?

Alegandron and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  21. furryfrog02

You didn't hear? That's all the rage with babies now. Designer belly buttons.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted