Very unusual (silver???) Bar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, May 5, 2020.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

I did the cheap ice test on this to see if it might be silver and the ice indeed began to melt immediately. I don't know what this is. Does anyone have any idea? The bottom has the following letters "HISP"

There is a cross with what I believe is a "1" in the top left corner an"8" in the top right corner. The bottom left and right corner I am not sure of.

It weighs 9.9 oz.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Yeah...me neither...I did research all damn day. I found nothing online. Any ideas are appreciated.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like lead.
    I never heard of the ice test.

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The ice test depends on the thermal conductivity of the metal/alloy. It may give you some indirect information, but I would not call it a conclusive test. If you do it side by side with some known metals, then you might be able to say if the thermal conductivity is higher or lower than the known sample.

Testing for specific gravity should tell you a lot more.

BTW. If you're not locked down, find a local coin shop, jeweler, or "we buy gold" place with a handheld XRF. That should give you a good answer as long as it doesn't have a thick plating (and a specific gravity test will confirm if it's plated or not)

6. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Yes it does however it is the back shiny section that makes me question it. Also I noticed in researching "Atocha pirate treasure silver bars" they seemed to be the most comparable to the bar I have. For example the color on this one...however I have seen none that have a cross and random numbers on it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATOCHA-162...COA-PIRATE-GOLD-SHIPWRECK-COINS-/303408913245

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  7. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Makes sense. I did a side by side comparison to a silver coin and it appears the ice on the bar melted much faster than the silver coin. Maybe it has to do with the purity? I don't know.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The ice test is so non scientific.

9. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. Looks like a lead tire weight for a truck.

Draft saved Draft deleted