Very suspicious 22 plain

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Jul 9, 2011.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey gang!

I thought this coin might spark some discussion. It has some of the indicators of being genuine... and is missing some others.

Thoughts?

22-1.jpg 22-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't like it. Lincoln is rather bold, the first 2 is too strong and the IGWT is also too strong.

4. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

There's a die crack going from over his head to TRUST.

5. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

The field almost seem to have ripples, and it also looks recolored

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The area below the date looks like it was worked on.

7. swingr1121

swingr1121 Working on the 7070

Looks a little too suspicious to me.. my guess is that it's a reworked coin..

8. phdunay

phdunay Member

Look at the rim, it is much too thick and combines with the L in liberty, which happens to be very weak. It looks very, very fishy to me, the D is almost too gone and the letters look like they have been ground down, I would not think it is real.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I wouldn't touch this coin with a ten foot pole

10. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

+1

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is not suspicious. It is a fake or altered if you prefer. It is not Die #1 - no die crack. Not die #4 - no bust to rim contact. Not Die #3 - the reverse is just too strong (and I will bet it is not rotated). The only possibility is Die #2 and the "IN GOD WE" is just too strong as is the date. Since there is only one die for each, any significant deviation means it is not from that die.

12. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Looking at the date, the difference in wear and color between the "19" and "22" looks suspicious to me...maybe the date was altered?

13. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

The dark patina on the coin looks almost certainly fake.
    Probably using that to hide the doctoring.

14. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I think it is certainly fake, doctored some way or maybe a real counterfeit. What concerns me is the color, the huge die crack and the rim "dings" seem to overlap one another.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No, rlm is the expert on these as to die pairs, and I agree with ldhair on the disturbance in the mint mark area.

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not an expert but I agree that date looks worked.

17. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

The first 2 looks good, but the second 2 looks very suspicious....too far apart

18. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Both look to have been mucked with (cleaned, etc.) and neither is die #2, but it looks from what little I can make out that they are both legit die #3 coins. I cannot see well enough to guarantee that, however.

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It would have to be a #2 due to the reverse. The obverse is not correct and I don't ever remember seeing a #2 with that die crack. Also, the toning is very suspect, it's too thick and uneven. Another flag is the MM area, when I see it all funky (splotchy) looking like that I pass. If I can't decide within 10 seconds if the MM is missing, I also pass. There should be no question about that area and if the slightest anomoly is present the coin is suspect.....call me paranoid, but these were/are very widely faked.

21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Isn't the obverse WAY too strong for a 22?

Draft saved Draft deleted