Very Strange Item

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ben88, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

This is one of the weirdest things I've run across in my dad's collection. From my research, I assume it is an 1876 France, 5 Franc silver coin.
    However, there are two obverse coins, apparently riveted to some kind of housing with a lever on top, and when you open the lever, it is hollow inside. Also, the coins have been shaved thin, so there is no reverse on either of them. When I shine a light inside, the sides are just flat surfaces.
    What in the world could this be ? I was thinking perhaps a device to hide valuables ? But it is so thick it couldn't pass for a coin. Any thoughts ???

IMG_0450.jpg IMG_0451.jpg IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0453.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

snuff box, pill box, opium box, etc. - pretty common in the 19th century :cool:

KSU40aygsVuqBRKsDF4kIA.jpg

5. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Thanks... I hadn't thought of that !

6. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

How cool - Thanks ! Any idea if they have any value ?

Lawtoad likes this.
  7. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Snuff/ pill box.

cpm9ball likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Very interesting. At first, my thought was to hide messages, but the snuff or pill container makes more sense. Please do some more research and post your results.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

What is printed on the side of the lever that opens up?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. juris klavins

they're made from many different coins - $25-$50 on eBay - search for 'coin snuff box'

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Yes, I just searched Google for 19th Century Pill/Snuff coin boxes - it's definitely a thing !

juris klavins likes this.
  12. juris klavins

More sophisticated hollow coins have been used for espionage activities throughout history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Nickel_Case

On June 22, 1953, a newspaper boy (fourteen-year-old Jimmy Bozart[1]), collecting for the Brooklyn Eagle, at an apartment building at 3403 Foster Avenue in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, was paid with a nickel (U.S. five-cent piece) that felt too light to him. When he dropped it on the ground, it popped open, revealing that it contained microfilm. The microfilm contained a series of numbers. He told the daughter of a New York City Police Department officer, and that officer told a detective who in two days told an FBI agent about the strange nickel.[2]

13. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Nothing on the outside or the inside of the lever.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice photos! ~ Chris

15. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

It would be cool if it was used to hide microfilm during the Cold War, or better yet, to send secret messages from the French Underground to the Allies during WWII.

16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

There seems to be some script located here.
    IMG_0453.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Good eye.

Also, I concur with snuff box. That's what I immediately thought of.

18. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Yes, there is definitely an engraved script. I'll need to get a shot with a better camera. Too small for my iPhone to show clearly. I do see the word France, but there is more after it.

19. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I think I see ‘Eloi’ in Gothic lettering.

20. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I'm less convinced. You can't dip your fingers into it to take a pinch, and it looks a little loose-fitting around the lid.

I think it's a matchbox.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

It’s a knife. Google Eloi Pernet coin knife.

alurid and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted