Very sad news today...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Nov 27, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Very sad news today. I had heard the reports on Wednesday, but today it was confirmed. A very nice gentleman by the name of Bentley Brookes was murdered at a bullion shop in Vancouver, WA that I frequented. He was a very warm hearted and helpful man. He treated my children very kindly and would give them paper and crayons to draw with while he and I conversed and looked at coins. I was going to go see him this weekend, until I heard the news. He will be missed and I hope they catch the scum bag that killed him.

They have released photo's of a suspect. I will be following this story and hopefully see it through to justice.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/11/25/shooting-reported-downtown-vancouver/76384958/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Very sad news. Washington state still has the death penalty, doesn't it? I seem to recall that the noose was the preferred method.

I used not to think this way, but I am sick of these degenerates running around and doing anything they want to do.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

oh man. that's so sad. I knew a coin dealer here in my city..St. George, Utah ( Jordan Allgood ) that was shot and killed in his coin shop...in a robbery. I still feel his absence here. they did catch his killer. I hope they find the person responsible and get justice and send a message that this will not be tolerated anymore. I usually do not like the death penalty, but in this case.... I would approve it to send a message.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. RobsCoins

RobsCoins coin collecting IS the true hobby of kings.

Thats a damn shame. Smh.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Somebody gives their life every year for this hobby. Often more than one; is this not the second in recent months?

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and phankins11 like this.
  7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That is a shame.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow, I went to high school in Vancouver and I still have relatives in the area. I'm a little shocked to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  9. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

This is a tragic loss! I wonder if he had a loaded fire arm? I wonder if he did, if he would still be alive now, and the criminal would be the one deceased instead.

10. billy b

billy b Active Member

Sad sad loss! PRAY FOR THE FAMILY!Daniel that's a great question.I can only tell you. I never go anywhere with out my glock 45 on my side,and yes it has saved my life more than once.I hope they got the dirt bag on tape.So aphis can do it's job.

Brett_in_Sacto and Daniel Jones like this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed. My heart goes out to his family and friends coping with this loss.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

@SuperDave yes, I posted an aticle earlier this month...We lost an 89 year old gentleman recently here in Indiana in a similar incident. A bunch of strung out method heads did it...

It's gonna get to the point where we'll be saying buy the gun before you buy thd book before you by the coin.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

A tragic example of why we all should keep our collections a private matter. You can't ever tell whose kid might hear that you collect and stage a home invasion. Having the collection at the bank won't help your prospects when the robber finds out there is nothing to steal. This is a crazy world.

Kasia, swamp yankee and billy b like this.
  14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

The police won't help you if you mention your hobby to the wrong person cause they'll be too late.Get a c.c.p./training and a firearm period,you MUST protect yourself,just like in 1849. I always said "Sam Colt speaks for me".....

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

God created man.........Sam Colt made 'em all equal.

16. Santinidollar

I have hired the well-known law firm of Smith & Wesson.

17. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

This wasn't a private home collection. This was the burglary of a business. No matter what it is - coins, jewelry or anything else of value.

This trash is taking over and it's time to start taking back our sanity and safety by any means necessary.

This is a tragedy, and I'm sure the woman in this case doesn't even know what she stole.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

If she stole anything, it was of little value. He kept only trinkets and a few silver dollars and rounds in his display case. It was a small shop. Anything of value was kept in the back in his safe. I'm wondering if the woman asked for something and then shot him in the back as he turned.

This woman deserves nothing less than immediate death. I wish our judicial system was as swift as it was 150 years ago. Trial, sentencing and then hanging all within the same week.

19. Santinidollar

That puts it better than any

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Portland is scourged with homeless heroin addicts living in camps under freeway interchange overpasses. Meth has kinda gone out of favor as the cartels have been flooding the market with cheap, high quality tar ever since the laws making precursor meth ingredients harder to obtain became commonplace. My guess from her appearance is that she is a heroin user and probably lives in one of those underpass camps across the river.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Walking dead and zombie Apocalypse scenario on the horizon. Heck, I even read in todays paper that 50+ folks is abusing meds like Oxycontin and such. Until we find a solution to the drug problem in this country, happenings like OP mentioned will continue to escalate.

Draft saved Draft deleted