Very rare Seleukid mint: Cyrrhus in Cyrrhestica

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Happily I have obtained a Seleukid municipal bronze coin from the city Cyrrhus in Cyrrhestica. Coins from that city are not that uncommon for Roman Imperial coins but this mint is very rare for the Seleukid empire and was only used by one king: Alexander I Balas.

[​IMG]
    Alexander I Balas Æ Bronze. Cyrrhus mint (149/8 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Alexander I Balas right.
    Reverse: KYPPHΣΤΩN; Zeus standing facing, head left, holding filleted wreath, at his feet an owl; ΔΞP (year 164, 149/8 B.C.) in left field, monogram below.
    21mm; 6.41g

There is not much known about this mint during the Seleukid empire. Alexander I Balas started the mintage of municipal bronze coins in Cyrrhus at around 151/0 B.C. and it only lasted until 149/8 B.C. The coins show on the obverse the portrait of the king, but on the reverse some local type. It shows Zeus standing holding a filleted wreath, one of the most popular reverse types used across the Levant (especially by his 'father' Antiochos IV Epiphanes). It also shows the name of the city (KYPPHΣΤΩN = Cyrrhus) in place of that of the king. Noticeable is the owl at the feet of Zeus, most likely it had local religious significance but with a Hellenized iconography. Similar municipal 'Zeus with animal' types were issued by Alexander I Balas at Laeodicea (dolphin) and by Antiochos IV Epiphanes in Hierapolis (lion).

History about the city:

Cyrrhus was founded by Seleukos I Nikator (or Antiochos I Soter?), probably in the first half of the third century BC. It was situated at the place where the road from Antioch to Zeugma or Hierapolis (a major cult center on the west bank of the Euphrates) crossed the Sabun, a minor river. Two bridges survive and are still in use. The city, which is named after a town in Macedonia, is situated in a fertile plain, just north of the agricultural settlements that are now known as the "Dead Cities".

[​IMG]

Like all Macedonian settlements, the town consisted of a straight and wide main street (about 800 meter long). The course of the walls was determined by the shape of the site, and there was a large citadel on a hill that rises about one hundred meter above the town. It was a typical Macedonian colony.

[​IMG]

The city remained in Seleukid hands for almost two centuries, but became part of Armenia during the reign of king Tigranes II the Great. He was defeated by the Romans, and the Seleukid Empire was briefly restored, until the Roman general Pompey decided to add the kingdom as a Roman province. Because of its strategic position the city was used as a military base in Roman times.

I by the way decided to continue the educational topics, because of many requests both public and private, however I do try to make it understandable for everyone and not tóó long.

Post your coins from Cyrrhus (also Roman ones!) and coins from rare mints in the Seleukid empire.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice find! I have nothing from this mint. Love the little owl at the feet of Zeus.

Pavlos likes this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I would have bid on that one this morning but I purchased a horse/anchor of Seleukos Thursday which ate up my budget. Glad you got it.
    Already posted my Ai Khanoum so here is a different mint.
    g243.jpg
    Antiochus I
    Mint: Uncertain mint 22, coining for Edessa or Anthemous
    280 to 261 BC
    Obvs: Bridled horse over Athena wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Trophy of arms over struck by uncertain type.
    16x18mm, 6.36g
    Ref: SC ---
    Note: Undertype SC 361; HGC 10, 150(R1)

5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the wonderful coin @Pavlos it is a great looking bronze. I was unaware of Cyrrhus as a Seleucid mint. I wonder what circumstances led to such a short lived municipal coinage, maybe necessity from the civil war?

I'm not sure if this mint is rare, but it's certainly not as common as Babylon, Antioch, or some off the other mints of Seleukos I.
    uncertain.jpg
    Seleukos I Nikator AR Tetradrachm 320-316 BC Uncertain mint 6A
    26.0mm 17.13g
    Obv: Head of Herakles right wearing lion skin
    Rev: Zeus Aetophoros seated left; in field left monogram on shield, monogram below throne.
    SC Ad 39.1

randygeki, Ryro, David@PCC and 6 others like this.
  6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Please post the coin once it arrives. The bronze horse/anchor issues of Seleukos I are wonderful and I have always wanted to add them to my collection. I my humble opinion they are some of the nicest Seleucid bronzes coins.

Pavlos likes this.
  7. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

First of all great coin! I have no idea about the rarity of the mint, I haven't seen a previous example of mint 6A before.

To your question, indeed very interesting it was only a very short lived issue. Alexander I Balas 'father' Antiochos IV Epiphanes (if it was truly his father), issued municipal coinage in 19 cities when he started to reign. The purpose of these issues was probably both to enrich the cities and to promote civic pride. He was was well-known for his interest in civic institutions. He even had himself elected as city magistrate in Antioch and he also tried to interact with common people by appearing in the public bath houses.

Unlike the issues under Antiochus, those struck under Alexander do not appear at the various cities in the same year, but rather in a progression of different years. Also, proof lacks of some sort of clear royal program of municipal revitalization by Alexander I Balas. It is therefore very likely civic authorities seem to be the authorizing force behind the issue of these municipal coins. By striking similar municipal coinages to honor Alexander I Balas at the beginning of his reign the cities may have been looking back to the benefits that they had enjoyed under Antiochus IV with the hope that Alexander would continue them. Alexander I Balas claimed after all to be the long-lost son of the well-liked king, Antiochos IV.

However why was the coinage so very short lived? Although it is not possible to be certain what started the sudden and brief emission of the municipal coins it seems plausible that they may have been struck in response to an official visit of Alexander to Syria Seleucis, following his marriage to Cleopatra Thea at Ake-Ptolemais in 150 BC. Until the death of Demetrios I Soter (the king before Alexander) in 151/0 BC, he had attempted to maintain northern Syria as a base for waging war against the usurping Alexander I Balas. Therefore, the period in which the municipal coins were issued seems to coincide with a time when Alexander might have visited the Syrian cities and reconcile them to their new king. Atleast it makes perfect chronological sense.

The theory of a special royal tour commemorated by the municipal coinages is also attractive because otherwise Alexander I Balas seems to have been rather disinterested in the cities of Syria Seleucis. The literary sources indicate that he much preferred to spend his time at his court in Ake-Ptolemais and rarely resided at the traditional royal capital of Antioch.

These are all theories, however, but I think it makes perfect sense Alexander Balas, not only claimed to be the son of Antiochos IV but also wanted to be an example of him. Antiochos IV was a great king in my honesty and good successor of Antiochos III the Great, which was also a great king (Well expect his stupid decision for the Battle of Thermopylae which let to his massive failure in the Battle of Magnesia).

I agree with @TheRed please show that coin when it arrives, if it is the coin I think it is, it is a rare beauty. Also, very special coin you showed, I have never seen that type before.

TheRed, PeteB and Kasia like this.
  8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I will show it. Before I get everybody's hopes up it is a 20mm coin not the 27+ mm variety that some may be thinking about. I was pleased to get it for a little more than a 1/3 of what it sold for in '09 however.

9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation @Pavlos. The coins were minted to coincide with Alexander's visit to the region seems to be the logical explanation.

I agree about Antiochos IV, despite how the book of Maccabees portrays him. Despite being willing to bump off family, he was a very skilled soldier as his victories in Egypt and Armenia show. His great weakness was that inherent in the Seleucid Empire, it was surrounded by enemies. He was fighting all over the breath of his empire.

Both the 20mm and + 27mm ones are wonderful coins and I would be thrilled to own either. I have only seen one 27mm for sale from CNG a number of years ago. It's not my coin, but I'll post a picture so others can see what we are talking about.
    20170610_162324.png

Bing likes this.
  10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I should have been clearer, I did NOT get that type. I would put it in the same level as the above however.

Draft saved Draft deleted