Very rare Domitian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus Maximus, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

I love to search for rarities in unknown places. That was rewarded a few weeks ago, when I found this very rare Domitian denarius. It concerns a denarius from the first months (possibly weeks) of Domitian's reign. This coin is rare for two reasons, firstly because it contains the legend PONT. Second, because it contains a rare reverse legend, namely: P P COS VII DES VIII. This is the fourth or fifth example known.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-x2XVouPT4wiYs.jpg
    Domitian 81-96
    AR Denarius
    Struck 81 AD
    IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG PONT
    Head of Domitian, laureate.
    P P COS VII DES VIII
    Seat, draped; above, semicircular frame decorated with three crescents
    3,46g/18mm
    Ric 16 (R2)

If you want more information on Domitian's 81 denarii check out this thread by @Orfew
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-first-year-denarii-of-domitian.345758/

When I have time I try to take better pictures.

DonnaML, PeteB, Limes and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin and congrats on the find of this rarity!

Parthicus Maximus likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Congrats on an enviable purchase! I really like your coin. I am always on the look out for these PONT denarii. Many of them have very interesting portraits.

By the way it is also interesting to note that your coin is a group 2 denarius from 81 CE. There are 12 denarii in the group (that is every coin in the group). Ten of these are PONT denarii.

Your portrait is quite nice. The portraits from 81 CE greatly vary. Some are very nice but others are just very strange looking, Some really emphasize that Flavian nose in all its glory.

Congrats again, that is a great capture!

5. iameatingjam

iameatingjam Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have a less remarkable domitian. but its still one of my favorites.

domitian.png

6. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

The story with this coin needs an update. I found out that it is not Ric 16 but Ric 14. The difference is in a tiny detail. Ric 16 has three crescents on the semicircular frame, Ric 14 has corn ears on the semicircular frame.

You can see the difference here:
    Ric 14:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-x2XVouPT4wiYs.jpg
    Ric 16: (from the collection of @David Atherton)
    normal_D16.jpg

Both types are very rare. Four or five examples of Ric 16 are known. I only found two other examples of Ric 14. The British museum has one, on Acsearch.info I also found an example that has been auctioned several times. Ric's authors cite only the British museum specimen. So my example of Ric 14 is probably only the third known.

It is unlikely that more examples will appear soon. All known specimens are from the same dies.

Orfew, PeteB, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great score, and added rarity bonus. An example that eye for detail and carefull study is worth the time and effort!

Draft saved Draft deleted