Very old coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Todd walker, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Hi my friends here at CT, I hope you all are doing great. Now I have come across a few old coins that maybe you all can maybe help me identify. I will give you the reverse pics if you like. But maybe just the obverse will tell. They look to be gold under the years of whatever it may be covering them. I thank you all for your time and wisdom. Peace 20200102_034616.jpg 20200102_042000.jpg 20200102_041835.jpg 20200102_034714.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The first one is of one of the three sons of Constantine (Constans, Constantine II, and Constantius II). You can see D N CONSTAN ... in the inscription. It would be interesting to see the reverse, as well as to know the diameter in mm and the weight in grams, so that its date and place of issue could be better pinned down.

It's not gold, I'm sad to say, but bronze, and it's worth next to nothing. It's the sort of thing that one finds in uncleaned lots people buy by the kilogram for a few cents per coin.

As for the second coin, there isn't enough detail for me to hazard a guess as to its issuing authority.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My bet would be Constantius II mainly because his issues are so plentiful and he had a long reign (337-361) compared to Constantine II (337-340) and Constans (337-350)

5. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Thank you so very much for your knowledge and kindness. Great day my friend

6. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Thank you for your kindness and knowledge. Peace my friend

7. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

You all are so awesome here at CT. Thank you for your time, knowledge, and kindness. I'm learning as you all teach me. This is great. Peace my friend

Draft saved Draft deleted