Very interesting Probus As or Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Jun 30, 2015.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting and rare coin, that some consider being an As others a Sestertius. Considering the period, it is most likely a Sestertius, as minting Ases by the time of Probus wouldn't have made any economic sense.

PROBUS AE 6.86g Sestertius (VF)

AV: IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG; laureate cuirassed bust r.

REV: VICTOR-IA GERM; trophy with captives on either side.

EXE: -

REF: RIC V-B 48, Rome mint

Sold by Munzen & Medaillen GmbH, 2011, dealer's picture.

Sestertii of Probus are very rare.
    81563l.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow seth, that's a very sweet coin (congrats)

Curious though, what is its diameter? (why wouldn't it merely be an AE Follis?? ... example: an AE28 Follis) ...

... ummm, maybe that's a dumb and obvious question? (although I heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question => but man, I've heard a lot of pretty stupid questions in my time!!)

:rolleyes:

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Out of the horses mouth and into his ears????

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

well, at least it's out of the horse's "mouth"

;)

6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

It cannot be a follis, as the denomination known today as follis didn't exist up until 294, when Diocletian's monetary reform introduced it.
    Although scarce from Gallienus onwards, and downright rare and very rare from Claudius Gothicus, the brass sestertii were in fact minted up until Diocletian.

Unfortunately the coin is not mine, but it was so interesting and uncommon that I thought it worth presenting :)

It's also a good opportunity for those who collect late Ases/Sestertii to show them :)

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> awesome, thanks

cheers, coin-brother (thanks for your help)

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My latest Sestertius is Volusian (only 252 AD ... old enough?)

Volusian a.jpg Volusian b.jpg

... okay, that'll probably be my last stupid question during "this" thread (thanks again)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Gil-galad, chrsmat71, ro1974 and 5 others like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Excellent detail on the reverse and quite scarce.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very cool coin seth77! Larger sized bronzes are a lot of fun! Yours is nice too steve!
    I have only one late date sestertius that I have posted it before. Here it is:
    Maximinus Thrax
    MaximinusThraxO2.jpg MaximinusThraxR2.jpg

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Wow! Did not expect to see that today.
    Kudos to you Sir!;)
    Here is a bit of info I found on these cool beauties.
    "Traditionally these coins have been described as asses because their appearance is similar to the last true asses struck during under Valerian and Gallienus, and are made of copper, however most recent scholarship identifies them as reduced sestertii since inflation had rendered the as an irrelevant denomination, yet the sestertius still remained as the acknowledged unit of accounting. A monetary reform was carried out in 274 AD, introducing new bronze coinage, with sestertii bearing a laureated portrait, and double sestertii (obverse bearing radiate portrait of Aurelian, reverse bearing portrait on moon crescent of Severina"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Hmmm, this is terrific---- Both the posts and the info!!!

It seems the closest I have to a sestertius of Probus are either of Balbinus or Maximus....
    balbinus obverse.jpg balbinus reverse.jpg DSCF0432.JPG DSCF0433.JPG

Gil-galad, chrsmat71, Bing and 3 others like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When asked to choose between A and B, I select C. The Probus is not a coin but a medallion given to someone for some service to the state. Wrong? Quite likely but I see no way to prove any of this.
    Probus is rare. Aurelian is common.

rx2370bb0738.jpg rx2400bb1398.jpg

Gil-galad, Orfew, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  15. EDDOP

EDDOP Well-Known Member

Maybe these are the latest struck before the reform?

Carinus

IMP C M AVR CARINVS P F AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    PAX AVGG, Pax walking left, holding olive-branch and sceptre
    AS - Siscia mint
    22mm, 3.5gr, Die 345
    Thin flan.

[​IMG]

Carus

IMP C M AVR CARVS P F AVG Laureate and cuirassed bust right
    PRINCIPI IVVENTVT Emporer standing left holding ensign and spear.
    AS - Ticinum mint
    21mm, 4,5gr, Die 0.
    1th emission Oct.282

[​IMG]

Mikey Zee, Gil-galad, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  16. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Very interesting coins. Although one could wonder what would've been the point of minting Ases by that time. Were they - like Doug Smith said - special donatives from the emperor? Were they available to the public?
    Aurelian's seem to have been minted in larger numbers and were probably legal tender available to all public use. Also, Aurelian minted large numbers of Denarii, both denominations becoming rare to very rare after his reign. So was this tradition that was reinstated by Aurelian carried by the ones coming after him or did these denominations become obsolete, to be minted only in small numbers and for specific occasions? Their rarity would suggest the latter.
    The Carus and Carinus Ases are both great pieces, and their reign was also known for producing these "irregular" denominations like quinarii and double-aureliani.

Here is another Aurelian 31mm, 8.22g from a Swiss dealer:
    aurelian.JPG

17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Here is the denarius version of the same type, AE 2.29g, sold by Jose A. Herrero, in May 2012:
    381750l.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted