VERY COOL ENCASED 1/2 INDIAN CENT

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by biohc, Aug 3, 2015.

1. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Well, here's a really interesting encased coin issued for the Milwaukee Harvester Co. AS you can see it has 1/2 of an Indian Cent in it. This is by far the neatest encased coin I have so I figured people might interested in seeing it. Mike. MVC-237S.JPG be

mark_h, ken454, NSP and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HunterOhlsen

HunterOhlsen Active Member

WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice. I want to share this - quote "One popular older encased contains an Indian Head cent, usually dated 1901 to 1904, that has been sliced in two with only half of the coin encased. The advertisement for the Milwaukee Harvester Company claims that just “One half cent Per Acre Will Keep A Milwaukee In Repair.” These can sell for over $100." closed quote - Found at this webpage - http://www.encasedcollectorsinternational.org/archives/Newsletter 2nd-q-09_files/Law Article.htm

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Very neat item

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is neat! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Chris

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

If I had one of those it would be my luck that it was an 1877 cut in half. Nice piece!

8. Where and how did you come across it? What is the history behind it? What got you started collecting encased coins? I think it is great, personally, and would be curious to hear more about it and encased coins in general.

ETA - Just read the link above and have a better understanding. Am still interested in how you came across it and what got you into encased coins.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

ditto

10. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who was a vest pocket dealer had it and showed it to me. I tried to buy it as soon as I saw it but he wouldn't sell. Over the years I kept at him about it and finally, in a weak moment, he sold it to me. He had become abscessed with MPC and needed money to buy some rare note and I was in the right place at the right time.
    I've always liked odd stuff so I've over the years amassed a hoard of these type things. I wouldn't call it a "collection" just stuff in a box.

Draft saved Draft deleted