....Vertot's Roman Republic, Vol. 1...1740 edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..I haven't bought any coins yet this year, but i have bought a couple of books related to coins as such..this came in today. this will tie in again my antique library and my coins. a 5th edition copy of Vertot's Revolutions in Government of the Roman Republic (boy, what a title:p) translated to the English of the day..this is the oldest book by far so far:)..and to keep this inna coin kinda way, i'll post a quinarius minted during the Social Wars of the Republic 90/89BC..:D

POST YOUR BOOKS, COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS!:D Vertots 003.JPG Vertots 002.JPG Vertots Roman republic de revolutions 1740 001.JPG quinarius Cato the Elder 89 bc 001.JPG quinarius Cato the Elder 89 bc 002.JPG quinarius M. Cato moneyer,Ob. Apollo bust right, r. Victory seated right 89BC

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

M. PORCIUS CATO.jpg
    M. PORCIUS CATO; GENS PORCIA
    AR Quinarius
    OBVERSE: M • CATO • PRO • PR, wreathed head of Liber right
    REVERSE: Victory seated right, holding palm branch over her left shoulder and patera in her right hand, VICTRIX in ex
    Utica, Africa 47-46 BC
    1.4 g, 13 mm
    Cr462/2, Porcia 11

dlhill132, tibor, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

How cool is that!! What a great book!

DonnaML and ominus1 like this.
  5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Nice!
    I bought good old Hill some years ago on ebay, but the book is in terrible condition. G/VG, I'd say. It's unusable, and just a nice collectible. Have you guys had any experience with repairing old books?

IMG_8578.JPG IMG_8579.JPG

6. ominus1

..hmm...not me..but kool book tho. :)

svessien likes this.
  7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I just found out that we have a father and daughter running a book binder store where they restore old books right here in Stavanger. Probably costs an arm and a leg, but I'll check it out none the less.
    Your book is a real antiquity, though. Looks like a great buy. Books are nice collectibles. Just like coins.

Theodosius and ominus1 like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool, @ominus1 ! Very good book...

You would shun my reading habits... I underline, mark, comment, dog-ear, highlight, throw away the useless dust covers that get in the way, and even eat when I read. I am terrible; I am the epitome of the Book People. However, being dyslexic, it is the way I absorb information. You do not want me to lend you a book... :D I totally consume them.

upload_2020-3-12_20-29-29.jpeg

Social War, cool choice, Greg!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    RR AR Quinarius
    Q Titius 90 BCE - Winged Victory and Pegasos

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    RR AR Quinarius
    M Porcius Cato 89 BCE - Young Bacchus and Seated Victory

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RR AR Denarius
    Q Titius 90 BCE - Winged Victory and Pegasus

[​IMG]
    Marsic Confederation
    AR Denarius
    Bovianum(?) mint, 89 BCE.
    (Bovianum was the Capital of the original Samnite Confederation since 9th C. BCE)
    3.93g, 20mm, 3h
    Obv: Laureate head of Italia left, VITELIV = ITALIA in Oscan script
    Rev: Soldier standing facing, head right, foot on uncertain object, holding inverted spear and sword, recumbent bull to right facing; retrograde B in exergue.
    Ref: Campana 122 (same dies); HN Italy 407
    Ex: Eucharius Collection

Sulla80, Johndakerftw, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Books and qunarii. I like this thread. And I’m waiting for a shipment of both:

D7DFBAA5-E8A9-4070-8A81-7ED21A9538C3.jpeg 9FC4C815-DB0B-44CD-929A-4811D6BDC3E9.jpeg

I was searching for a book about Sasanid coins earlier, and got a laugh too: The «customers who bought this book also buys» - suggestion was this; a book about trauma treatment. I really didn’t know this about Sasanid coins. Perhaps I should get rid of the few that I have before I lose my mind.

95B0580D-442C-432D-9868-6D55F3B7AB91.jpeg

Sulla80, Johndakerftw, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My copy of Hill, together with some of the plates. I even have some of the coins [edited to add: I mean types of coins] shown on them.

Hill 1899 cover.jpg

Hill 1899 title page.jpg

Hill 1899 Plate IV.jpg

Hill 1899 Plate VI.jpg

Hill 1899 Plate XI.jpg

Hill 1899 Plate XII.jpg

Hill 1899 Plate XV.jpg

11. furryfrog02

ominus1 likes this.
  12. DonnaML

I didn't mean I have the actual coins, just that I have some of the same types of coins! I suspect the plates came from coins in the British Museum.

ominus1 and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

Ah, ok. Either way, still pretty cool. Thanks for sharing :)

DonnaML and ominus1 like this.
  14. ominus1

svessien and DonnaML like this.
  15. svessien

svessien Senior Member

From what I understand, Hill is a classic and an important building block for modern numismatic literature. I think that’s why Donna and me chose to buy it.

And it’s Svein, btw. Very nice to meet you all.

16. DonnaML

Exactly!

17. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

That book looks great! Much older than any book I own!

You posted a page showing the fifth edition, “English’d by Mr. Ozell, from the Original newly reprinted at Paris, with Amendments and Additions by the Author himself, …”

I have never seen the word “English’d” before.

I found the second edition, 1721, viewable online. Print on demand copies can be had for $16 per volume, if you are like me and afraid of reading old brittle originals.

Vol 1: https://books.google.com/books?id=q...dir=0&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Vol 2: https://books.google.com/books?id=y...dir=0&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sulla80, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  18. ominus1

..hehe..me neither Ed..this one will be an adventure into old English fpellings...thanks for the info. :)

Ed Snible likes this.
  19. DonnaML

The oldest complete books/publications I own are these two, a couple of Racine plays published in 1696 and 1698 respectively. Unfortunately, they have nothing to do with coins!

2 Racine tragedies, covers, 1696 & 1698 -- Athalie & Mithridate.jpg

I do own a single page from an incunabula -- an illustrated page from Hartmann Schedel's Weltchronik, published in 1493. better known as the Nuremberg Chronicle -- but that doesn't really count!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Sulla80, ominus1 and svessien like this.
  20. DonnaML

The oldest book about coins I have is the first edition of John Pinkerton's Essay on Medals, published in London in 1784. (Much of the book deals with ancient coins, which it refers to throughout as "medals." What we would call ancient medals -- i.e., not intended as regularly circulating coins -- the book calls "medallions.")

Here's the title page:

Pinkerton title page.jpg

I find this book particularly interesting, even though it has no illustrations, because it includes the earliest extensive price guide for Roman coins I've ever seen. Here are some pages from it. (These copies are actually from the third edition, published in 1808, which I also own. I didn't want to damage the binding of the first edition by placing it face-down on a scanner. As far as I can tell, the author didn't change the prices between 1784 and 1808!)

Pinkerton price guide 1.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 2.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 3.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 4.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 5.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 6.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 7.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 8.jpg
    Pinkerton price guide 9.jpg

21. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Great looking book, @ominus1, love the binding and the aged paper.
    vertot Map.jpg

Many books are available, and searchable on archive.org:
    Vernot V1, Vernot V2, Hill, Pinkerton, De Racine Athalie, De Racine Mithridate, along with one of my favorites Babelon.

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying paper editions too:
    Babelon Spine.jpg

I'll add a coin to keep it CT : an AR denarius of the Younger Cato:
    MPorciusCato Denarius.jpg Roman Republic 47-46 BC
    M. Porcius Cato Uticensis, African mint (Utica)
    Obv: draped female bust right (possibly roma), with hair tied, M CATO PRO PR before, border of dots
    Rev: Victory seated right, holding patera in right hand and palm branch in left hand; border of dots, VICTRIX in exergue
    Ref: Crawford 462/1c; RSC Porcia 9; BMC Africa 15

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Bing, ominus1, DonnaML and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted