Vermont Landscapes. Lets see them!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nerarities, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nerarities

nerarities New Member

I have always found the Vermont Landscape designs to be one of the most attractive designs in all of copper coinage (Obviously just my opinion). This is a piece I just picked up that I thought was very pretty. Most examples come on terrible planchets based on the quality of copper they were working with in 1785-86

Lets get a VT Landscape Topic going!!! Everyone post one if you got em!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Whoops,

Pictures backwards!!

4. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

nerarities,

Some of my favorites as well!

I don't have anything to compare to that monster coin, but here's a trio of landscapes. I have a decent RR2, but have never photographed it.

CC VT 1786 3 O.jpg CC VT 1786 7 o.jpg CC VT 1786 8 o.jpg

5. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Very nice pieces!! The RR-3 is very nice for that variety. I rarely come across that variety and have not seen a decent example in many years. Love the die states of the RR-7+RR-8. Always thought the die progressions of the Vermontensium varieties (RR-6-RR-8) be very cool and I am surprised there are not more collectors collecting these by die state. I assume budget could be a problem collecting multiple examples, kinda like trying to collect MA silver by die variety!

Just for accuracy, an RR-7 that I posted. The RR-7 has commonly been called the rarest of the three Vermontensium varieties, but I don't think I agree with that. I think RR-8 is far scarcer than the RR-6 and RR-7 (the RR-7 being the most common in high grade in my experience. ARguy, or anyone, any thoughts on this?

6. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

You see a lot more coins than I do and would know better than I. I pretty much only see the auction catalogs, but until maybe 5 years ago, the general opinion seems to have been that RR8 was the scarcest and that RR6 and RR7 were about the same in terms of rarity. I've read lately that some believe RR7 to be scarcer than RR8. I've been looking for an RR4, so I kind of pay attention to what turns up at auction. IMHO, RR7 and RR8 are of about the same rarity, with RR6 being more common. I have seen auctions with multiple RR6's and few if any RR7/RR8's. To your point, you almost never see a high grade RR8 and you do see high grade RR7's, more often than RR6. I think that the planchet stock was running out on RR8's. They seem to be lower quality in general.

I always thought that RR4 and RR8 were about the same rarity. But, RR4's seem to be harder to find and many of the ones I see listed seem to be the same specimens resold. So, I'm kind of thinking that RR4 may be a little scarcer. Of course it is in higher demand because of the singular use of the VERMONTIS spelling. So, price may not be a true indication of rarity. I also think that RR2 is nearly as common as RR6. So, just in my opinion, from most common to scarcest, it goes something like:

RR6 RR2 (RR7 and RR8) RR4 RR3 RR5.

Again, this is just a collector's opinion.

7. nerarities

nerarities New Member

I agree with your rarity order there. I am sure you are right that the RR-7 and RR-8 are equal in rarity, I guess just recently I have not seen many RR-8s at all on the market, especially not any that are high grade.

8. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

You could very well be right. Like I said, I "grew up" thinking RR8's were scarcer. I'm not sure who first suggested that RR7's were the scarcer ones, but, whoever it was, people seem to have listened to them.

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

I don't know if you'll consider this landscape but you have some large Mountain Lions wandering around the landscape up north!
    [​IMG]

10. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Connor1, that coin is NICE! What's the grade on it?

11. connor1

connor1 Collector

I think it looks better then a 63 !
    [​IMG]

12. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

13. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

Let's try that again....

Connor1, Beautiful Vermont half! And a nice bit of humor to boot!

14. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Connor1,

Its a Vermont with a landscape so it works for me. Nice coin!!

15. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Vermont Landscapes are at the top of my list of favorites, indeed. Beautiful specimens folks!

16. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

Just picked up another Ryder-3 and thought I'd share...

Attached Files:

17. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Beautiful.

18. nerarities

nerarities New Member

That is a great example of the RR-3. Certainly the most difficult Vermont Landscape variety to get anywhere near nice condition (RR-5 excluded). I figured that piece went to a good home. Since you bumped this thread back up Ill post two more pieces. Both are RR-7 varieties. This variety comes in many die states as while the coin was being struck the die was rapidly failing. The first is a very early die state (PCGS AU50 Ex. Garrett Collection) and the second is the extreme late die state. I know of a collection that contains 9 different die state examples of this variety! Good to see you at C4 ARGuy

Attached Files:

19. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

I really like the color/look of that R3 (I have only seen one R3 in hand). Funny you should post this now as just this morning I started to re-read your book again...It's that time a year again.

With snow comes more indoor time w/ coins and lit.

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree, the Vermont Landscape motif is certainly an appealing one.
    Here is my example of the Ryder-8 variety with VERMONTENSIUM. It is a bit darker in-hand than shown in the picture. Most Vermont planchets suffer from surface imperfections is seems, and this one is no exception, but it is still a nice specimen.

Eduard

Attached Files:

21. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Wow - what great examples. I've always loved this piece, especially the "landscape" design. I'm not sure if the sun looks too kindly on this great planet. If he'd just pop over the horizon for a moment and let us see a smile, I'd feel better ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted