Verification services

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GotSilver?, Jul 7, 2015.

1. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

I apologize if this has been asked ad nauseam but I couldn't find it with the search. But is there a cheap service that will simply verify that my coin is real... No grading necessary... No holder necessary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I dont think so. Why not go to your local trusted coin dealer and have them take a peak. There may be a small charge per coin, but it may also be free.

Try these links for find a dealer in your area:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx

http://www.pcgs.com/dealers/

http://www.pngdealers.org/find-a-png-dealer?view=browselist

https://www.money.org/find-a-dealer

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

You could also post some quality pictures of the 3 sides of the coin (Obv, Rev, Edge) here on CoinTalk and get some helpful advice. It may be that a coin is obviously fake and people could save you some time and money.

loopytoad74 and Andrew Snovell like this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Many local dealers are terrible at this though. I know from experience.

mac266 likes this.
  6. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

pix PIX PiX and more pIx

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

ANACS is cheap and you get a grade too.

spirityoda and swamp yankee like this.
  8. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Honestly ANACS is probably your best bet for what you're looking for

coinzip, dwhiz and swamp yankee like this.
  9. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Or just post some pictures here!

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I thought it would be too hard to tell from pics. So let me give you my background story... Before I get laughed off this forum. I started just 6 months ago trying to buy silver as an investment. And I started with buying junk silver. After my first few purchases I caught the collecting bug. But I'm still on a very tight budget but this guy I was selling my junk to (to fund my collecting habit) had a 1893 O and a 1895 O Morgan he would sell to me for $70 each... So I bought it. They are fillers for sure until my budget allows me to upgrade but these are the first two silver dollars I've shelled out more than $22 for. So what do you think... real or not? (Sorry if the pictures are bad... the camera on my phone is my only camera) note: give me a sec need to get on my computer to rotate then upload the photos.

IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0702.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To me, they are too far gone to tell if they are real or not. Personally, I would not have paid $70 for either of them in that condition.

Chris

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I always tell folks to buy what they like but those are too worn for me. It may be tough to sell those in the future.

13. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I'm thinking a fake would be in a better grade.

14. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

If you plan to build a collection, save your money and try to buy graded, slabbed coins in ms60 or higher...if funds allow. If you want silver for investment, buy ASE's

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Although both coins are heavily worn, there's quite a big difference in weight- 1.3gr... Not sure if 27.1gr is still within the weight tolerance considering an UNC Morgan dollar should be at 26.73gr.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

At that price range, I'm thinking I wouldn't throw additional money after these to get them authenticated. Even if you sign up for the ANACS mailing list and wait for their next "grade 2 for free" promotion, you'd still be looking at $25 or so just to cover shipping and insurance.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't pay that much for them, but I'm also sure that a lot of people wouldn't accept that little for them. You won't get your money back selling to a dealer, but if you list them one day on eBay, you aren't likely to lose too much money on them.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  17. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

Thank you all for your advice...

But specifically, to micbraun... "there's quite a big difference in weight". Yah, my bad, I should have taken it out of the cardboard holder... to show you how cheap or how much of a budget I'm on, I reuse my flips, so I didn't want to mess up such a nice flip... lol. Also, those markings... CLX4... blah blah blah... I thought I read on another thread that that's usually what dealers put on their flips to show how much they paid for it. (Is that corrrect?) And I was hoping showing you guys that it came in a flip like that "legitimizes" my purchase? (idk).

Thank you again, for your advice, I've posted on another thread about inheriting some coins I didn't recognize, and the guys there were very helpful too.

18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

19. -jeffB

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

OK then the '95-O must be underweight :)

21. -jeffB

It's pretty easy to see where it lost the weight. I'm not sure I've seen another Morgan where you can't make out LIBERTY at all. To be honest, I would've expected the mint mark AND date to be obliterated before LIBERTY disappeared.

Draft saved Draft deleted