Featured Verdigris....Make your own solution to eliminate this ugly corrosion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Greg Clark, Nov 9, 2016.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes, very much

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes, somewhat

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not at all

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Okay I won't make it worse

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That was over two years ago, friend; but thank you. :)

4. barsenault

barsenault New Member

I was told to use 5g SS and 95ml distilled water solution to remove Verdigris from bronze. Is this correct? After the 14 days of soaking (2 times), I’m sure you rinse with distilled water? And then pat dry? Thoughts?

5. barsenault

barsenault New Member

Well, here I go. I hope this works. I have the 5g and 100ml of water in a glass container with a cover. Hopefully it gets rid of that gawd awful green turd !

6. barsenault

barsenault New Member

Happy to report its working. It’s amazing what verdigris can do to a metal like bronze. It literally is eating away the surface. Ouch. I’m afraid it will get UNC details. Oh well. I tried. I’ll take pictures. I’m going to soak for another week and then a week in just distilled water...and do before and after pictures

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I was looking at a Beautiful Fugio in a no problem PCGS holder which looked great - until I saw that bit o green on the dial of the obverse. I wonder if it came after it got encapsulated.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Found this thread researching verdigris removal. Some of you are still around. Wanting to know if any of you actually tried this and what was thew results if so.

Seems impossible to buy verdicare anywhere and Badthad hasn't been around for a long time, so curious if any of you regulars actually tried this.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Dragging up an old thread

I was hoping to see some before and after shots.

Here's a token I've just purchased for $7 for such an experiment
    Treatment could increase the value considerably if any of the solutions work. I have some Verdicare on hand which I haven't tried on verdigris as yet.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Mason Struthers.jpg

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

LOL! Mic drop.....

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I dunno, I interpreted it as "attitude-free answer to attitude-free question".

12. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

This is excellent information! I just acquired a coin box from 1917 containing 500 Indian Head Cents. If I can save even half of them, I'm happy!

My lacking social life is not going to be a problem for a few weeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was going to say "Welcome to CoinTalk", but I see you've been here longer than I have, so I guess it's "welcome to posting"! :)

A box like this cries out for its own thread. (This thread is quite old, and some of its more vocal members are gone now.) Can you start a new thread and post some pictures of individual cents, some of the worst and some of the best? It might be that people here could offer better advice for specific targets.

Congrats on your find!

14. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

Hi, Jeff! I will! Lots of before and after pics.

And a caveat about indiscriminate shopping around on the internet! I think I would have some good insights on navigating and surviving eBay (excluding the 500 IHC - excuse me, "Sarah Longacre Cent" debacle above. Can't say I'm not a little nervous. Usually, it's "clear pictures", or I move on. This time, I took a walk on the wild side!) Will unveil the contents soon. It hasn't arrived yet.

One of my success stories here (not to go off topic) but a preview of my new thread:

A lot of Lincoln Cents I bought for $3.00 or so yielded nothing too exciting, mostly junk, and this jaw-dropping knockout. I sold the rest of the lot for what I paid for it, and kept this one for free! My kick is working on filling out a whole Dansco with "free" coins; selling the incumbent and using the proceeds to upgrade, or cherry-picking lots.

The local coin shop has quite a few on a top shelf collecting dust. When I asked for one of the Dansco Lincoln Cent albums he had last summer, he rang it up with a hefty discount and stuffed it in a bag in record time! He doesn't draw the kind of traffic that is interested in them, but there's definitely a market out there!

Won't be needing the chemistry this round!

Oh, and yeah... 10.6 gr. of baking powder is 2 1/4 teaspoons, while 8.4 gr. = 1 3/4. 100ml is .4226 cups, or a little less than half-a-cup. Sorry it took me 7 years to enlighten the community on that tidbit. I googled it just now.

I'll let you know, if I botch the measurements and set off an explosion in my kitchen, but I think it will work.

[​IMG]

15. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Wow! I assume you aren’t using any kind of chemicals on this beauty!

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey @Cincimatti trying to do all of these in bulk is a daunting task. Verdigris is a bad thing, but "cleaning" it up can be even worse. The formation of verdigris on a coin means that the copper is being reacted, and sudden removal of the verdigris will leave a hole or pit. As an alternative, you could simply soak the coin/s in water to loosen the powdery material and remove it with a toothpick or soft toothbrush. After this, oven drying the coin/s would retard or prevent any more spread as long as you keep it/them protected from air and moisture (flip or container). Perhaps @BadThad can chime in here. Best of luck and PLEASE take it slow and keep us posted.

17. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

These are Indian Head Cents @ 50 cents a piece.

I've actually had much success in the past boiling a coin with stubborn debris in distilled water with a drop of Dawn dish washing liquid and rinsing before a soak in acetone. I have had varying degrees of success removing mild verdigris using detergents such as this formula. I will start a thread and you can enjoy my journey with me!

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

No, sir! Just have to be sure to keep it out of range when I start drooling over it! LOL!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  19. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

I use a blow dryer on a lower setting, actually. Quick and effective. And I think I'll look at them 10-20 at a time. I'm retired; nowhere to be.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Cincimatti

Cincimatti Junior Member

I started a thread today. To satisfy those lingering here, a pic of the best of the lot:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kentucky, -jeffB and chlorinated like this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As Kentucky said, acetone ( organic compound) can not dissolve metal material ( inorganic) such as copper,iron,aluminum, etc., compounds. So if material does come off in it, it wasn't metallic . If detergents or soap products loosen and remove it, its organic. Mucus ( sneezing, laughing, dead cells on fingers, are prime materials in ,my opinion. Kentucky is a long time college chemist. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted