VerdiCare

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@BadThad just thought I would mention, the two Civil War tokens I posted earlier were treated with VerdiCare. I noticed with them (as I have for some others) that when I covered them with VerdiCare and let them stand overnight that wiping with a sheet of tissue left some green residue on the white tissue. Could this mean the VerdiCare is preventing any further formation of verdigris?

capthank, MIGuy and OldSilverDollar like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You're not supposed to soak or otherwise let the VerdiCare sit on coins (or tokens) overnight. More like 5-8 minutes and then you pat them gently with cloth (or paper towel if you're not applying it to particularly high-grade pieces). Do not wipe them. Do this on one side and then repeat on the other. This will neutralize the oxidation and should result in a long-term seal being formed over the coins/tokens.

Now in your case it sounds like the VerdiCare did its job and took off what it was supposed to as I have observed similar green residue from coins I've conserved in the past. Your tokens should be fine but going forward be sure to follow the directions that should have been included with the product (which I might add is quite wonderful).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    capthank, MIGuy, Kentucky and 5 others like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The only thing that will stop further verdigris from forming on a coin is proper storage. And for that matter, verdigris can already be present on a coin, and proper storage will prevent more verdigris from forming.

Verdigris is caused by 2 things, the air and moisture. That moisture can come from an outside source, meaning anything that allows water to get onto the coin, or from humidity in the air itself. It is the combination of air and moisture that allows the coin to corrode. And when the coin corrodes what used to be copper turns into verdigris. In simple terms, verdigris is nothing more than copper rust - just as rust forms on corroded iron or steel.

While Verdi-Care will remove light verdigris from a coin, it will not prevent more verdigris from forming on a coin unless that coin is stored properly.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  5. Kentucky

Copper and chloride ions help also :)

6. Kentucky

From the instructions, he recommends no more than 24 hours.

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It is solublizing the verdigris, that what it's made to do. That's a long soak, make sure it doesn't evaporate. The inhibitor package in VC will prevent the reformation of verdigris as long as the coin is is air dried and well protected.

NOS, RonSanderson and Kentucky like this.
  8. BadThad

PS - Fans of VC will pleased in a few months. :D

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's what we want to hear!

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

iu.gif

11. BadThad

We are progressing rapidly - it may only be a few more weeks instead of months. VC will live again!

Kurisu, serafino, bradgator2 and 8 others like this.
  12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

It's wasn't available for some time? I didn't know that...

13. BadThad

UPDATE

We are finalizing the deal, it will be new manufacturer, such things make it complicated. The chemistry side is complex and current raw material shortages make for an extra challenge. It's taking us longer than first anticipated but the stars are aligning slowly. We have been actively working together for weeks now. One of our suppliers quoted us 6-8 weeks delivery on a key raw material so it could push VC into 2022.

For those waiting, we recommend signing up for "auto-notify" on Wizard's website. They will be the first to have product. Order quickly, VC will certainly sellout in short order!

14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. ptHoneyBadger

ptHoneyBadger Member

Any updates on availability? Thanks

NOS likes this.
  16. BadThad

We're hoping to have the raw materials needed by January 2022. The supply chain crisis has significantly slowed things.

17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Cool. How long from receipt of raw materials till the finished product hits the shelves? No pressure here. Inquiring minds want to know ;)

NOS and Heavymetal like this.
  18. BadThad

Days, we have everything worked out but don't have all the chemicals we need.

NOS, RonSanderson and Heavymetal like this.
  19. Kentucky

Your garage? :)

20. BadThad

I wish I had what we needed! Only gasoline, weed killer, fertilizer and cleaning stuff in there unfortunately. Industrial chemicals are very tight in the market. We ordered what we need about 8+ weeks ago and still nothing. :(

NOS, RonSanderson and Kentucky like this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Thad, "Stop the Spread!" There's your new marketing slogan. :)

BadThad and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted