Verdi-care

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tken1950, May 22, 2017.

1. tken1950

tken1950 Member

I have a copper coin I want to send to be graded. I put it in the freezer with distilled water and now will give it a acetone bath. If I apply Verdi-care to conserve, will it lower the value of this coin?
    How do coin graders clean and conserve coins that are submitted to them without damaging the coin. I sent a $2.50 gold piece with some green under the chin of the Native American and when it came back the green was gone and the coins was really nice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's a whole bunch of stuff/questions involved in what you just said.

In the freezer with distilled water ? That's a new one on me. And while others will disagree, acetone on copper isn't always a good idea.

Now as a general rule graders won't touch a coin, as in cleaning it, sent to them. Unless you specifically send it in to be cleaned by them, ask them to do it and pay them to do so. But it has been known to happen without permission from the owner, though most TPGs will deny that it does.

As to what they do, specifically, to clean the coins, they won't ever tell you. But there's only so much one can do, and most of the options are pretty well known.

And Verdi-Care - its one and only use to remove verdigris. So unless your coin has verdigris on it, don't bother. Will it lower the value if you do ? Depends on who you ask. Verdi-Care is a good product and it does what it's supposed to do, but it does leave traces (material) on the coin. Some people won't care about that, others will. And the TPGs claim they can detect it with their "sniffer". And if they do, they will not slab the coin. But, if they don't use the sniffer, and they won't unless you pay them to do so, then the coin may well be slabbed and straight graded. Of course if it has other problems or issues it won't be.

4. tken1950

tken1950 Member

Thanks, great information. I had read in one of the post that putting a coin in the freezer with distilled water may help some grime/dirt to loosen up. I guess by the contracting and expanding of the metal is probably what would help to loosen it up.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have never heard of putting a coin in the freezer with distilled water. What is that supposed to do? Does it work?

jamesicus likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm guessing it the water would get into any looser areas around the verdigris and through expansion and contraction, loosen it further. It won't do anything to remove toning.

I would not use this technique on ancients since there can be lots of planchet flaws and the possibility of crystallized silver, but other than that, I guess it can't hurt. I just wouldn't expect much from it

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've used the technique with success a number of times. Best practice for plain caked-on dirt.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Verdi-care shouldn't lower the value - it goes on, then comes off. I have treated numerous coins and tokens with the stuff and submitted them with no issues, including PCGS Secure going under the sniffer.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If the freezing and unfreezing is suppose to loosen and crud, you need to get the crud off right then, because as the separation line between the coin and the crud occurs, it will allow distilled water beneath the crud where it could become a chemical solution itself and intensify damage deeper into the coin. Verdi-products are safe for copper coins IMO. :)

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, it'll come off- if you remove it. But if do not remove it, it stays there.

Draft saved Draft deleted