Verdi-care

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mark240590, Dec 29, 2014.

1. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Evening folks, I've got this coin here that've had a year or so.. It's a great grade but appears to have a lot of verdigris. I've not had any experience of the aforementioned but hear good things.
    This is a scan which shows it not so bad
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419901381.001218.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419901389.334107.jpg
    And pics which better show the in hand state as to why I want to neaten it up.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419901452.989073.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419901468.329433.jpg

So my question is to those with more experience with Verdi-care:

Do you think it's worthwhile buying some to use on my coin ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I have used verdicare and *never* been dissapointed. However, and I know verdigris is not usually a "good" thing, but I love the look of that coin in the photos all the wrong gook in all the right places. Odd question, is that a white towe it's sitting on?

4. mark240590

It's a grey towel, old photo now but just don't want to let this get any worse. Do you have any before and after photos ?

5. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I believe I do, but at home on my external storage drive :( when I get home I'll try to remember to look for them, I have a billion coin pics LOL.

Would it get any worse if kept in a 2x2 or a non pvc flip? I'm not trying to convince you, just curious.

6. mark240590

Well.. That's where it is now, it's not gotten any worse really anyway I thought it would need to be damp to cause any bother. Thanks if you remember on it would be great !

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Keep in mind that if any of the verdigris ( corrosion) is removed with any mechanism, there may be visible pitting benrath. Just seeing the photos, I would be hesitant and leave alone, and I am a great fan of Bad Thad's products, but it can't fill in what has been removed by the reaction.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Mark I'm pretty sure that Thad himself will tell you that coin is not a good candidate for Verdi-Care. In fact his info sheet on it says this -

(110) Q: Will VERDI-CARE™ remove verdigris?
    A: YES! VERDI-CARE™ is designed to remove light to moderate verdigris. Heavy verdigris may show some improvement, but is typically not fully removed. The “toothpick method” can be useful on thicker types of verdigris (see below). After treatment, any remaining verdigris (or other corrosion) may take on a darker color as it is neutralized by ReAcT2™.

So I think Jim's advice, coupled with proper storage, would be your best bet.

9. mark240590

yeah, I think i will leave it.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Maybe (or likely) it won't remove the verdigris, but the one reason Thad will say it should be used is because "any remaining verdigris (or other corrosion) ... is neutralized by ReAcT2™". i.e. it prevents it from progressing any further.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But so will proper storage.

My concern would be that the verdi-care will make what is there, darker.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Cool coin! Being a Virginia guy, I always wanted one of these. I remember a long time ago they found a small barrel full of these in high grade in some guy's estate. A bunch of them were like MS64 RB's. Awesome piece of history!

13. mark240590

Thanks, I've seen them in that grade on eBay and the likes this looks to be a really nie grade but obviously it's hindered by the green goblin !

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've used it with success, but is small areas. It's a good product, but it will leave the affected area darker.

15. mark240590

I'll leave it making it darker would make it worse !

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Most of the verdigris looks to be light but there appears to be some heavy in there as well. For the most part, I think it would conserve fairly well.

If choose not to conserve, I'd rinse it with acetone to dehydrate the verdigris and then put it into an air tight holder.

mark240590 likes this.
  17. mark240590

Ill look into it thanks mate, I need to ask is there anywhere in the UK which stocks Verdi-Care ? Ive seen them in america but i would imagine shipping fluids in this day and age is a little dodgey. I have a few coins that could do with the treatment nowhere near as bad as this one mind.

18. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

JPL Coin Care will work.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

19. BadThad

VC is completely safe, there are no restrictions on shipping from a chemical standpoint. Unfortunately, you are correct about the costs. Shipping to the UK usually costs more than the product.

20. BadThad

Coin Care is nothing but mineral oil with an odorant. Keep in mind that verdigris (an ionic salt) is insoluble in oil.

21. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

Amen. Its just as well ... <BG>.

Draft saved Draft deleted