Verdi-Care?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbensteele, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

Ok, so i read that this stuff cleans away most or all veridgirs and plants a protective layer. So will this keep a coin from toning naturally? I have badly cleaned coins that are ornage-pink colored and oxidized and i was thinking or maybe using verdi-care to protect from future verdigris and oxidizing but wonder if it will stop it from ever retoning again?

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I may be wrong, but Verdi-Care is only for copper coins.
    Your coin might not have been cleaned. Even untouched coins tone. Some toning is desirable, unless it's toned black

4. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

The thing is that I gave them all mere second long vinagar baths then rinsed them, just wonder if verdi-care will allow them to tone after application, right now their orange pink oxidized color

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Copper is a great metal in regards to toning and protection. Unlike iron, once toned, it passivates. that is why copper roofs can last for a very very long time unless cleaned.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The orange pink color is probably the color of unprotected unreacted copper alloy. If you protect such coin from the environment it will stay that way for a long time. Even allowing it to "retone", over a long time will yield haphazard results.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think you have misunderstood something. Verdi-care does not leave a protective layer on coins. According to the guy who invented it, Bad Thad who is a member here, Verdi-care leaves absolutely nothing behind on the coin. It has no protective qualities.

The sole purpose of the product is to remove verdigris and do that safely, without causing further harm to the coin. But even in that regard the product has limitations, it will remove light verdigris, but if the coin has heavy verdigris then some of it will be removed but not all of it.

As for stopping retoning or future verdigris, Verdi-care will do nothing at all. But as Jim (desertgem) said, you can easily do that with proper storage.

By the way, and it appears you know this now, using vinegar was a mistake.

8. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

When I went to wizardcoinsupply and read up on verdi-csre its description says it bonds with the metal and the layer is only molecule thick

9. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

For Protection VERDI-CARE™ utilizes a 2-stage system surface. Closest to the surface, the ReAcT2™ ingredient forms a semi-permanent bond with metal. This layer provides heavy-duty, advanced corrosion protection and is only molecules thick. It is completely invisible and will last virtually forever. The second (upper) layer is an advanced, water-soluble, surface-conditioning, polymeric layer that will repel atmospheric contaminants, enhance luster and improve, not strip, the patina.

10. GDJMSP

Interesting. I'm just repeating what the inventor and manufacturer of the stuff has said here on the forum many times. That being that the product evaporates completely and leaves nothing behind on the coin.

The discussion of this came up because it was questioned whether or not the coin sniffer could detect anything on a coin that had been treated with Verdi-care. The answer from Thad was an emphatic no because the product left nothing on the coin to detect.

He invented the stuff and makes it - he should know.

11. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Not sure about this but I would ask BadThad as he is the producer of this product. I will say however if you don't rinse the coin in demineralized water after treatment it does retain a "shiny" coating that is probably what you are refering too.

All in all I am a very Strong supporter of VC, as I collect alot of coins with "history" to them I can honestly say this product has greatly improved the eye appeal of many of my large cents and other coppers that have had verdigris issues. Here is one of the experiments I ran with VC even completely discounting the "protective" factor, I find the killing and removal of the verdigris makes this product a must have for copper collectors :D.
    Here is my "extreme" test of VC
    http://www.cointalk.com/t218614/

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The ReAcT2™ will halt the toning process locking the coin in at whatever state it's at when treated.

jrod5673 likes this.
  13. BadThad

You're thinking of the discontinued product VERD-GONE. VC uses a completely different technology and is designed to remain on the coin after treatment.

14. BadThad

VC is designed to work on ALL metals.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  15. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

Thank you BadThad. Exactly what I needed to know

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So, do you think this would be picked up by a "coin sniffer"?

17. BadThad

If that level of service is chosen by the owner (secure plus), there is a chance their insturment would detect the polymer layer if it's LOD is sufficient and VC is in their library. PCGS uses an FTIR ATR. ATR greatly reduces the signal strenth - meaning their lower limit of detection is reduced compared to more traditional IR techniques. I use a diamond ATR equipped IR at work daily and it's great for a quick scan but when I want the highest quality scan I'll make a KBr pellet, use salt plates or a liquid flowcell.....I digress..... IMO, if the polymer layer was rinsed off the coin with water, it would be undetectable on their insturment. Of course I cannot guarantee that but it's my opinion as an analytical chemist.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

I stand corrected.

19. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

So ive got a fairly nice XF-Au example of a nickel 3 cent piece with some verdigris forming on both sides. It doesnt look bad at all and I am hoping VC will take care of it. Ive never 'conserved' a coin before, so i figure Ill give this a shot. Ill post results afterwards!

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Jargon

Just reading through this again and was amazed at how much chemistry comes across as a foreign language. From the name "sniffer", I automatically assumed that it was some sort of GC/MS technique.

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

so in your opinion we should use it?

Draft saved Draft deleted