Venus: the evening star shines brightest now

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kaparthy, Apr 12, 2020.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

In 10 days, it will reach maximum apparent brightness, though only about a quarter of it is lit up by the Sun. It is hard to miss in the west in the afternoon, evening, and night. I just went out with my two telescopes in nominal daylight and spotted it.

Unfortunately, I have no Venus coins... The closest I have is a Uranopolis with Aphrodite.

Urania Aphrodite Obv Rev copy.jpg
    c 300 BCE AE 17 mm. 2.5 grams

I know that we commonly associate Aphrodite with Venus. However, that was not the name of the planet to the Greeks. (Mercury was Stilbon="sparkler" and Mars was "Pyrois" = burner, and so on. Venus had several names because the evening star and morning star were considered different. Phosphoros=bringer of light, for example, i.e., the morning star). But enough about me and what we do not have.

Anyone got a Venus?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

No coins but as an amateur astronomer I have been quite impressed by Venus in the evening sky as of late.

kaparthy likes this.
  4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I've got 3 I can share to start it out ...

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, Wife of Sept. Severus,
    Empress 193-217 AD, AE Sestertius,
    Rome Mint, Struck 193-196 AD

Obverse: IVLIA DO-MNA AVG, Bust of Julia Domna, hair waved and coiled at back, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENERI VICTR, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand, resting left elbow on column, S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 842
    Size: 30mm, 18.3g

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, Wife of Marcus Aurelius who ruled
    AR Denarius, Struck under Antioninus Pius 145-161 AD, Rome mint

Obverse: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, Bust of Faustina the Younger, band of pearls round head, with hair waived and coiled on back of head, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENVS, Venus, draped, standing left, holding apple in right hand and rudder set on dolphin, which coils round it, in left.
    References: RIC III 517c

[​IMG]
    Plautilla, Wife of Caracalla who ruled 198-217 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck 202-205 AD, Rome Mint

Obverse: PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, bust of Plautilla, hair firmly waved and drawn down on neck, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENVS VICTRIX, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm in left hand, resting left elbow on shield; at feet, left, Cupid.
    References: RIC IV 369
    Size: 21mm, 3.24g

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

@Justin Lee is that first coin really Venus? Because all I'm seeing is a moon ;)

All three are great coins. Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping to one day own a bootylicious Venus.

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of coins with Venus reverses:

Julia Soaemias (mother of Elagabalus). AR Denarius 220-222 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG / Rev. Venus standing facing, head left, holding apple & scepter; large star in right field, VENVS CAELESTIS. RIC IV-2 241 (Elagabalus); RSC III 8b. 18 mm., 2.85 g.

Julia Soaemias Denarius - Venus Caelestis - jpg version.jpg

Julia Mamaea (mother of Severus Alexander), AR Denarius. Obv. Bust draped right wearing diadem (stephane), IVLIA MAMAEA AVG/ Rev. Venus stdg. front, head left, holding helmet & scepter, shield leans against her at left. VENVS VICTRIX. RIC IV-2 358, RSC III 76 (ill.), Sear RCV II 8216 (ill.), BMCRE 713. 20.5 mm., 2.88 g.

Julia Mamaea AR Denarius.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have too many to show. I'll just show one I haven't posted in a while and which I like very much.

[​IMG]
    Galeria Valeria, AD 293(?)-311.
    Roman Æ Follis, 26 mm, 6.64 gm.
    Nicomedia mint, 308-310 CE.
    Obv: GAL VAL-ERIA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: VENERI VI-CTRICI CMH, Venus standing facing, head left, holding apple and drapery; in exergue, SMNA.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a man dressed in drag!!!!!

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CAESAR family believed they were descendents of Venus.

upload_2020-4-12_23-3-17.png
    Roman Imperiatorial
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer
    AR Denarius 4.03g.
    Minted first 2 weeks of Mar 44 BCE
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled -
    Venus holding Victory, sceptre, star at base
    Syd 1074a, Sear Imperators 107e, Craw 480-14
    Rare -2

Perhaps the Star on the reverse at the base of the scepter represents Venus' star.
    Or, a portent to the Comet after Caesar's death (umm, not)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Marsyas Mike, eparch, Orfew and 13 others like this.
  10. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Just to mix things up, here's a modern coin from Kazakhstan depicting the Soviet Venera 10 spacecraft, which explored the planet Venus:
    Venera 10.jpg

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I remember being out one evening long ago with my small and non-verbal but sharp-eyed son, admiring Venus. I pointed to it, and said, "That's Venus." He looked at it, grinned widely, and made the sign for... moon.

It was on its way out of the evening sky, and so was a relatively thin and large crescent. It's theoretically possible for someone with exceptional vision to tell that with the naked eye. For my corrected-to-just-normal vision, it looked funny, but I couldn't resolve it.

I said, "Does it look like a tiny moon to you?" He nodded vigorously.

I said, "Which way is it pointing?" I figured that would be the end of it, because he had no concept of how moon and planetary phases worked.

He held his hand up, making the sign, pointed in the right direction.

I think I went on to talk about why it looked like that, but his attention was probably elsewhere by then. I never did manage to pass the astronomy bug along to him. That's fine; he's got more than enough other redeeming qualities.

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have many coins with stars on the reverse but don't think any that can be specifically narrowed down to the planet. But here is a Valeria Galeria

galeria1.jpg

galeria2.jpg

14. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I have a Lucilla....
    Lucilla Denarius...165-169 AD Rome 2.64g...18mm
    Obverse- LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, draped bust right
    Reverse- VENVS, Venus standing left, holding apple and sceptre.
    RIC:784
    L.jpg

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

For anyone who might not know, I suppose I should have pointed out that Julia Soaemias and Julia Mamaea were sisters.

16. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

The earliest Venus I could find in my collection. II Sabina 0396 denarius Venus 6b-014.jpg

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ROMAN REPUBLIC - Venus

upload_2020-4-13_17-17-21.png
    RR Memmius 87 BCE AR Den Saturn SC Venus Biga Cupid S 262 Cr 349-1 Left

upload_2020-4-13_17-18-10.png
    RR Egnatius Maxsumus 76 BCE Bust Libertas pileus behind- Roma Venus stndg cupid on shoulder Wolf Head S 326 Cr 391-3

upload_2020-4-13_17-19-4.png
    RR Naevius Balbus 79 BCE AR Den Venus SC TRIGA Sulla S 309 Cr 382-1

upload_2020-4-13_17-19-55.png
    RR L and C Memmius L F Galeria 87 BCE AR Denarius Saturn harpa EX S C Venus Biga Cupid Sear 262 Craw 349-1 Left

upload_2020-4-13_17-20-48.png
    RR Faustus Cornelius Sulla 56 BCE AR Den Venus Signet Pompey S 386 Cr426-3

upload_2020-4-13_17-21-33.png
    RR Cordius Rufus 46 BCE AR Den Jugate Dioscuri Venus scales S 440 Cr 463-1

Draft saved Draft deleted