Venus Standing right, holding apple?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jun 16, 2019.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I never fully understood how to use ERIC II too :oops:. The denominations listings seem to be just a small sampling. For instance, doing a "find on page" showed no examples of the reverse type 87, and that's the one I most needed to see! On which denomination is this reverse found?

Hoping @Suarez will stop by this thread and give us some pointers on using ERIC II, plus info on his latest work (Aorta).

furryfrog02 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Glad I am not the only one who is a bit confused. It is a pretty good resource though.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've found it particularly helpful for looking up obverse legends.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Venus standing right holding scepter and apple only exists as a denarius type, RIC 729, under Marcus Aurelius. Venus standing facing or left, pulling veil and holding apple probably doesn't exist and neither is illustrated in ERIC II. The Venus standing right, pulling veil and holding apple is a dupondius/as, RIC 1410, not a sestertius.

At any rate, the reverse types issued by Pius for sestertii of his daughter are limited.

1) Holding scepter in right hand and object in left: none.

2) Pulling veil with right hand and holding object in left: ONLY RIC 1375, Hilaritas, standing right, adjusting veil and holding long palm; it is not in the British Museum or at OCRE but there is a specimen at Wildwinds:

RIC_1375.jpg

Faustina's hairstyle is very different, the obverse inscription is different, and the SC is much lower in the field, as necessitated by the palm.

There are no sestertii of Lucilla that even resemble this reverse type, much less with the LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F obverse legend.

This is very puzzling. Are you positive the obverse legend indicates an issue by Antoninus Pius? The FECVNDITAS S C reverse is the closest match, but uses the FAVSTINA AVGVSTA legend.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

I will try to get a better image of the obverse tomorrow if I can. It is most likely a mistake on my end. I really do appreciate all the sleuthing everyone has done on this one.

8. Roman Collector

That's a dupondius/as, RIC 1410; this reverse is not known for sestertii.

happy_collector likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for your additional info. Much appreciated.

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

Managed to snap a couple of quick shots during lunch. Hope these help...
    1386E3C1-8789-468C-9EDF-F88CA454B15C.jpeg 8002959C-4D8F-4C42-8D9F-649C85D7E968.jpeg 31B9ED0C-43FD-45D9-B2CF-57F5FB69D279.jpeg 1887FD4C-0FDD-47F2-BB91-92B7A3ED3938.jpeg

Bing likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Much better pictures and it tells me two things:

It's probably a dupondius/as and not a sestertius; I'm guessing it's about 26 mm in diameter and about 11 or 12 g in weight.

I'm convinced the obverse inscription is either FAVSTINAE AVG ANTONINI AVG FIL or LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F.

If Faustina II, the only thing it could be is RIC 1410c, and that's NOT IT. The hairstyle is wrong. Here's the British Museum specimen:

667266_001_l.jpg

It MUST be Lucilla, RIC 1170, BMCRE 1187-88!!!! I have one in my collection, too!!

Lucilla VENVS As.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. furryfrog02

13. Roman Collector

It looks coppery, not brassy, so it must be an as.

14. furryfrog02

Glad I had it right with Lucilla to begin with. I bought it with several other sesterti and it was in the same pile so I just assumed it was one as well. D’oh.
    Thank you, oh wise and powerful ancient coin detectives. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted