Venus Standing right, holding apple?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jun 16, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have looked through Crispina, Faustina, Faustina II, and Lucilla and I "think" this is a Lucilla sestertius.
    I can just make out the "AEAVG" on the left side of her head and "AN" on the right side. On the reverse, I believe it is Venus standing right, holding an apple. I haven't been able to find a match on wildwinds though which makes me think I am barking up the wrong tree. All the Venus reverses I can find have her holding the apple to the left.
    Am I completely wrong? What am I missing (besides a decent coin)?

UI12.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It could be Spes walking left.

4. furryfrog02

Hmmm still can't find a match. It looks like she is holding something (globe/apple?) in her hand on the right though, right?

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please understand that I did not research this at all but just thought I saw the hand back holding up the hem of the skirt. Spes usually holds something, here a branch. I have no idea if Faustina even used the type but the rear had make me wonder. This one is an rg1150bb1454.jpg Eastern Septimius.

Marsyas Mike, Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. furryfrog02

Yeah I can't tell what she is holding on the left side. Perhaps the hem of a skirt or something else. Maybe a sceptre? Poor thing is so rough, I may not get her ID'd.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

On your coin I see a reverse figure (Venus?) standing left.

8. furryfrog02

That is the one that makes the “R” right? :p
    I get confused if we are going stage left or the other way around.
    Regardless, the only examples I could find were facing the opposite way.

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I see her holding a staff. What you see as the "apple" is the S from SC

10. furryfrog02

The S is on the left side of the coin. Nearer her waist. The “apple” is in the hand above the “C”. Or I have just completely lost my mind at this point.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

If that is accurate-- and you're in a better position to make the call since you can tilt the coin around in hand-- that fits with a known Faustina Jr obverse legend:

FAVSTINAE AVG ANTONINI AVG P II FIL

The hairstyle looks like Faustina Jr too.

Are you familiar with @Suarez's (Rasiel Suarez, CoinTalk member) ERIC? You might want to add it to your list of attribution resources. (Hey Ras-- I've lost track... do you have a newer/bigger book and is there an online version?)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=ERIC - FAUSTINA II

She has many Venus standing reverses. I didn't scroll to the bottom of her page to see which legends and types go with which denominations.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.53.55 PM.png

Looking at your coin again, maybe the reverse figure is standing right... hard to say.

12. furryfrog02

Looks like I have some reading to do :)

Jay GT4 likes this.
  13. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

I have a bronze with similar Venus reverse. Maybe it helps pinpoint? Sorry I don't have specific reference numbers, since I am pretty new into collecting Faustina bronzes.
    zz-mystery02.jpg

14. furryfrog02

That reverse is almost exactly the same. Much different portrait though. Thanks @happy_collector!

arizonarobin and happy_collector like this.
  15. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Neat reverse type - I did a quickie search on OCRE for Faustina II, Venus, and "veil" - as with many Faustina types, there is a kind of bewildering variety - but this narrows it down to 6 hits (which is not to say OCRE errors may not occur - I've been encountering a few lately) - I hope this link works - it looks overly-complicated:

http://numismatics.org/ocre/results...cet:"Faustina+the+Younger")+AND+fulltext:veil

happy_collector and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for the weblink. Nice additional info. :happy:

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's Faustina II. The female figure is standing right and holding a scepter and another object -- I'm thinking a baby. I'm leaning toward Fecunditas.

Here's a sestertius in my collection:

Faustina Jr FECVNDITAS Sestertius.jpg

And here is the OP coin:

131314.jpg

18. furryfrog02

@Roman Collector That's pretty dang close minus the legends on the obverse.

19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I don't know...the hand is awfully close to the head, with what looks like a "connection" (a veil?) from hand-to-head. Also the drapery hanging down from the arm looks to me more like the one happy_collector posted.

And yet, maybe that is a scepter hanging down with extraneous lines from wear and tear giving the illusion of hanging drapery? I just don't know - and RC is much more knowledgeable than I am (and probably has better eyes too).

Here is the OP with my crude efforts at digital-drawing:

Fasutina II - Venus maybe CT June 2019.jpg

happy_collector and furryfrog02 like this.
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

If it's FAVSTINA AVG PII AVG FIL, it can't be Fecunditas. Darn. Thought I had it.

21. furryfrog02

There are a few on the ERIC page that I would like to see pictures of. I can't figure out how to find them, if they even exist:
    85) Venus standing left, pulling veil and holding apple.
    87) Venus standing right, holding scepter and apple.
    89) Venus standing, facing, pulling veil and holding apple

I "believe" the obverse legend is: FAVSTINAE AVG ANTONINI AVG P II FIL based on what few letters I can see. I can def make out the AVG and possibly the ANT...

Justin Lee and Marsyas Mike like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted