Venice Ducat Help

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Windycity, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Windycity

Windycity New Member

Here are images of what is suggested to be a Venice Ducat from approximately 1460. Note the COA from Calhous Collector Society. Any help further identifying this coin would be appreciated!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It looks generally consistent with a medieval Venetian ducat. As to attribution, I'm afraid I'm not specialized enough to help you. Authenticity? I don't see any obvious red flags.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I recognize you from the PCGS forums. Send it off to them, and you'll have that final bit of security, a slab and a TrueView image, and maybe an attribution as well. (A Friedberg catalog number, I would expect. They put one on my 12th century tari, though I did not provide or even know that information.)

5. Windycity

Windycity New Member

Appreciate the help. PCGS May be the next stop for this one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

None of us on either forum have been able to identify the Doge who issued this coin because the name (to the right of the flag on the obverse) is worn away.

:)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd definitely send it in as it just looks a bit "off" to me. I collected these a bit and with a good deal of effort I could usually attribute them correctly. But I no longer have all the books I'd need to do that. Striking variations are well known of course as they were minted for 750 years, but, they all have very similar looks. And this one is just one I don't recognize, could be I've just never seen one like before. That said, it may well be perfectly genuine, but like I said it just looks a bit "off".

8. Style is off. Probably an Indian imitation contemporary with the original.

Draft saved Draft deleted