Venezuela 5 Balboa 1957 (tiny gold)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, May 25, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on the attribution of this, as these gold "coins" in the 50s & 60s seem to have dubious and contradictory monetization, absent dates, and were issued by a bank corporation rather than the official mint. But, I picked this up for a decent price & like the design:

Does anyone else have the 10 bolivares, 20 bokivares, or 60 bolivares issues in their collection?

20200525_152034.jpg 20200525_152018.jpg

Nathan401 and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The one you show in your pic is as good as it gets, I have a couple but not that one! Supposedly they were minted in 1957, at least that's what I've heard. Yours looks like one of the Tokens that weighs 1.5 grams? Is that right? Here's a pic of mine, mine is a coin and weighs 3 grams! :D
    s-123-45a.jpg s-123-45b.jpg

Nathan401 and GeorgeM like this.
  4. GeorgeM

Yep, 1.5 grams at 90% fine. Yours is not only twice the intrinsic value of mine, but has an even more attractive portrait (IMO).

It seems they had a number of different indigenous leaders showcased on these, and I'd love to learn more about their history / reason for production.

Any idea what the mintage numbers were like?

5. fretboard

No, I have no idea about the mintage numbers but I've heard they're very low. Like I said, most were minted in 1957 and the designs are portraits of the Sorocaima Indian Chiefs of the 16th century. Here's my Token, I think it's the only small one I have. :D There are many fakes but you can usually tell as they look terrible! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venezuela-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    s-7371a.jpg s-7371b.jpg s-7371c.jpg s-7371d.jpg s-7371e.jpg s-7371f.jpg

Nathan401 and GeorgeM like this.
  6. fretboard

GeorgeM likes this.
  7. GeorgeM

Heck of a story - and the only coin I can think of off the top of my head that shows a decapitation.

8. fretboard

Yeah that's a Gold Coin I truly want but it sells for way too much money!! Even the smaller Gold Tokens with Tamanaco on them sell for top dollar so I pass! :D When you think about it, it's the only coinage I know about with a severed head as well! Too cool for school!! :D Here's another 1.5 gram Token that's selling for top dollar, Mara! :cigar: As the price of gold sluggishly goes up, it may sell, idk! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Chi...045765?hash=item48e2764005:g:g-4AAOSwaBJd~DSB
    maraa.jpg marab.jpg

GeorgeM likes this.
  9. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

A timely reminder that Venezuela was not always bankrupt...

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. GeorgeM

What was the purpose of these bullion rounds? The late 50s & early 60s were times when private ownership of gold was disallowed by many countries (outside of ornamental jewelry & numismatic items).

Draft saved Draft deleted