VEDS Example of 1954-S RPM-015

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rmpsrpms, Jun 15, 2022.

1. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I was looking through some 1954-S BU Rolls and found this VEDS example. I noticed the VEDS quality of the coin before I saw that it was an RPM that I did not recognize, but checking on VV I found it:

http://www.varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/1954SRPM015.htm

This particular coin is an earlier die state than the VV coin, but still the same die stage.

I shot the coin in High Resolution and posted it to EasyZoom for viewing. Check it out here:

https://easyzoom.com/image/343176/album/0/4?mode=manage

This RPM is a very shallow-punched type which probably does not exist into LDS. This is similar to a few others like 55-S RPM #1, 53-S RPM #26, etc. I would assume the extra punches on these coins were not "full", but instead were "setup" punches before the main punch, or possibly "bounces" after the main punch. Any way they were made, they would be quickly removed by die wear or abrasion.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Amazing pictures! Thanks for posting.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

A great find and excellent images show the RPM very clearly.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Great way to photograph coin! :joyful:

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Excellent image as always Ray!:)

7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Such remarkable photos. I have seen a lot of your work and the details always blow me away.

This is just incredible!

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Okay, I'm not a cent collector and haven't had my second cup of coffee and my meds are messing with my head, but what the heck is VEDS?

9. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

(variety early die stage) i think am not 100% sure.or (very early die stage)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

VEDS is "Very Early Die State". This is essentially a new die, not showing much if any wear. As the die wears it progresses to EDS "Early Die State" to MDS "Mid Die State" to LDS "Late Die State" to VLDS "Very Late Die State".

Die State is different from Die Stage. Die Stage takes specific die markers into account, such as gouges, breaks, cracks, deep scratches, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted