VCoins - This Week in History - Sibling Rivalry

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

During the first few months after the death of the Roman emperor, Constantine I (the Great), his three sons -Constantine II, Constantius II and Constans- conspired to purge most the remaining members of their family and consolidate their power. They murdered their half-cousins -Hanniballianus and Delmatius- as Constantine I had elevated them to Caesar along with his three sons, and on 9 September 337, jointly claimed the title of Augustus. After the purge, the Roman Empire was divided between the three Augusti:

Constantine II took the territories in the West (Gaul, Britain, Spain and the westernmost part of North Africa).

Constantius II ruled over Asia Minor, and annexed Pontus and Armenia that were led by Hanniballianus.

Constans, the youngest of the three brothers, controlled Italy and Illyria, and took over the Balkan territories previously under Delmatius.

The very inequitable division of the empire immediately caused tensions, and Constantine II demanded Constans give him Italy and North Africa. Constans refused. In 340, Constantine II declared war on him, but was killed in battle soon after the conflict began.

What started out as six joint rulers under Constantine I (including Constantine's eldest son, Crispus, who was wrongfully put to death in 326), was now left to only two - Constans ruling all of the West, with the East still under Constantius II.

------------------------------

Post those coins to commemorate this week in history!!

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Hanniballianus.jpg

Hannibalianus, AE4, 336-337 AD, Constantinople, als Rex regum unter Constantine I. 1.6g, 14mm

OBV: FL HANNIBALLIANO REGI, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right.

REV: SE-CVRITAS PVBLICA, Euphrates seated right on ground, holding sceptre, overturned urn at his side, from which waters flow, reed in background. Mintmark CONSS.

REF: RIC VII Constantinople 147.

chrsmat71, zumbly, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

crispus-vot-v-siscia.jpg

Crispus AE3. 320-321 AD. Siscia mint, 3.4g, 19mm

OBV: IVL CRISPVS NOB C. Laureate head right.

REV: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM around laurel wreath containing VOT V, ASIS star in ex.

REF: RIC VII Siscia 161

chrsmat71, zumbly, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ah Gil, I see you took over posting "This Week" from Vcoins. Good on ya. Keep it up.

Constantine_II_16.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II AE Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTI-NVS IVN NC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left
    REVERSE: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe on altar inscribed VOT / IS / XX, three stars above, PLON in ex.
    Struck at London 323-324 AD
    2.5g, 19mm
    RIC VII 284

Constans14_opt.jpg
    CONSTANS AE2
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTANS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Constans standing left holding chi-rho banner in right and resting left on shield, two bound captives wearing Phrygian helmets standing to left, ASIS in ex
    Struck at Siscia 348-350 AD
    3.93g, 20mm
    RIC VIII 224

Constantius_II_24_opt.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS II AE3
    OBVERSE: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor holding labarum and phoenix, standing on galley piloted by Victory. Mintmark BSIS [symbol 2] (like a retrograde R)
    2.20g, 18 mm
    RIC VIII 243

chrsmat71, zumbly, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Sorry I did not ask before posting. I wasn't sure so I just posted it. You can continue posting them next week or whenever they post one again. I think they wasn't posting them in the mail for awhile.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

No, no. Please feel free to post these. I was getting tired of posting them when they were sending them out regularly. I'm glad they started again. Good info. So I will be waiting to see your next installment! :bucktooth:

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, they'd stopped sending them out, hadn't they? (I noticed that I got one in my e-mail today and I immediately thought of Bing) ...

=> but I laughed when brother Gil-galad stepped-up and beat Bing to the punch (well played, brother)
    :)

First come, first serve!! (I'm just glad that these threads are back!! => they're always a lot of quick-posting fun)

Cheers fellas (I hope that all of you guys are having a great Saturday Night!!)

Ummm, I spotted "4" ancient coin opportunities:

Constantine I => with doors

constantine I rocks.jpg
    Constantine II => with doors
    constantine II rocks.jpg
    Constantius II => with doors
    constantius II rocks.jpg
    Constans => with a very cool ol' bird!!
    phoenix.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    chrsmat71, zumbly, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I wish VCoins had provided a link rather than just sending the whole as an email so we could share the link rather than copying the text. They are, after all, trying to sell the coins shown in their mailing and someone here just might buy them.

I have posted way too many CSII and friends before but will offer again my favorite Delmatius. Thessalonika with the A option in his name.
    rx5800bb1829.jpg

chrsmat71, Bing, Gil-galad and 2 others like this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I could post a lot in this thread - Constantine Dynasty coins were my first love as far as ancients go, and I continue to collect quite a few. Going back one generation, however: it started with these two, the parents of Constantine the Great, Constantius Chlorus and Helena...

chlorusandhelena.jpg

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

They were certainly a nasty dy-nasty.... *cough*

crispus400.jpg
    CRISPUS
    AE3. 3.4g, 18.5mm
    Lyons mint, 322 - 323 AD
    RIC VII 166
    O: CRISPVS-NOB CAES, laureate head right.
    R: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe on altar inscribed VO-TIS-XX, three stars above. C - R across fields. Mintmark PLG.

constantine ii400.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II
    AE3
    2.2g, 18.5mm
    Lyons mint, 322 AD
    RIC 205
    O: D N CONSTANTINO IVN N C, laureate head right.
    R: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe on altar inscribed VOT-IS-XX, three stars above. Mintmark PLG

stevex6, chrsmat71, Bing and 2 others like this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's my favorite Constantine I posthumous coin....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Yeah, that's funny in a disturbing sort of way. That family was messed up in a lot of ways.

14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice coins you guys. Keep em' coming!!

15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

constantine-1-ae3-two-victories.jpg

Constantine I AE3. 319 AD. Arles mint, 3.0g, 18mm

OBV: IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG Laureate created helmeted & cuirassed bust right.

REV: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, two Victories facing & inscribing VOT PR on shield placed on plain altar, PARL in ex.

REF: RIC VII Arles 191

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

constantine-2-caesar-votive-5.jpg

Constantine II AE3. 320-321 AD. Aquileia mint, 2.5g, 17mm

OBV: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB. Laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.

REV: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, VOT V in wreath, dot in badge at top of wreath. AQT dot in ex.

REF: RIC VII Aquileia 95v

chrsmat71, Bing, John Anthony and 2 others like this.
  17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

constans-attrib.jpg

Constans AE Centenionalis. 348-350 AD. 2.8g, 18mm

OBV: D N CONSTANS P F AVG, Draped and cuirassed bust right.

REV: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Constans standing left on galley, holding phoenix and labarum, piloted by Victory. TESB in ex.

REF: RIC VIII Thessalonica 120

18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

constantius-2.jpg

Constantius II AE3. 334-335 AD, Siscia mint, 2.3g, 19mm

OBV: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C. Laureate, cuirassed bust right.

REV: GLORIA EXERCITVS, Two soldiers flanking two standards, dot GSIS dot in ex.

REF: RIC VII Siscia 237, LRBC 756.

Draft saved Draft deleted