VCoins: Caligula As - interesting cleaning job

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 4, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Do you think the coin posted in the OP had something artificial done to the obverse to make the surface look so smooth? If the dealer were going to do that, why not do something to make the reverse look uniform, instead of the patchy (and frankly unappealing) look it has?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

100% agree.

I should also mention that I don’t necessarily prefer coins stripped down to bare metal, I just don’t mind them as much as others seem to. The fact that all ancient coins have been cleaned already allows us to dispense with so much of the nonsense about cleaning and “details” that makes modern collecting less fun. For us ancient collectors it is about how much cleaning we prefer based on our own tastes. My tastes are pretty broad so long as the coin is interesting to me.

You can’t ruin a coin by cleaning it IMO. You can only make it uglier. For those who feel differently, I invite you all to send me all your “ruined” coins and I’ll dispose of them for you. Free of charge :eek::D

catadc and Ryro like this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I don't like what they've done to the coin!
    That said if this coin had been put up for sale with no reference to prior cleaning, although pricey, I would probably think the ob is nice and the reverse not so..So who am I to say!....But it does make me wonder how many other sellers are doing a similar thing?.....
    Interesting that they have been open and shown the before and after photos....Worryingly, they are obviously really pleased with their end result, reiterated in their statement..'Our cleaning process was excellent!!!'.......I've bought from them on numerous occasions as they're just down the road and their prices have always been on the high side but in general good quality coins. I do hope this coin does NOT sell for any where near the asking price as this could change their opinion on what is generally regarded as a 'nice' coin.....
    Obviously just my opinion...

DonnaML likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That may be true but you can not go back when you discover that their was ugliness under the dirt. What I find objectionable is when harsh cleaning goes below the surface of the coin and increases erosion. IMHO the bcuda coin I said I liked was cleaned down to the smooth surface without adding pitting or tearing up the edges. This does not bother me. Each coin is a separate case with problems or pleasant surprises waiting under the dirt. Knowing when to stop cleaning is important. I believe the OP coin could have been cleaned less harshly removing some dirt but not stripping it completely. If so, the coin would be worth a fraction of the asking price. If the coin sells it will be a sad commentary on the current state of the hobby. I would not be surprised if it sells. If it does and the buyer decides to resell it in an auction, what will result?

Curtisimo and DonnaML like this.
  6. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

The price is absurd, but I do not dislike the cleaned coloring. There’s quite a bit of smoothing on these other coins that make the cleaning look not so bad by comparison. To each their own.

Curtisimo and DonnaML like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A bit pricey and the pinkish tone of the cleaned coin is irksome.

8. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I think the coin was vastly improved by removing the gunk (not patina). The brick red underlying color is not uncommon for this issue. I no longer own this coin but after I bought this from NFA in the late eighties, I began to notice more examples of this type with this red color.
    Caligula As.jpeg
    The Lucernae coin is over-priced (more than 3 times what the pictured coin cost me in 1987) but they have accepted offers from me in the past for significantly less than their asking price. Offers less than 60% are generally not good form though and I would be surprised if the coin isn't still being offered in a few months.

Curtisimo, DonnaML and Bing like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I agree with this, but would just qualify by saying you can certainly damage a coin if you scratch it up badly during the cleaning process. Though the coin below was from an "uncleaned" lot, it came "cleaned" to its current state. I don't have a problem owning it, though. Damaged coins need some love too!

nero ascalon.jpg

While I don't personally consider a coin stripped of its patina ruined - ruined for me would be a tooled coin - I think it's a valid sentiment for some to feel that a coin stripped of its patina has been ruined for them. I do however believe this hobby has enough coins to accommodate the fact that some collectors, including myself, will prefer a coin after it has acquired through the process of 2000 years of metal oxidation an unoriginal coloured layer, some dirt, and assorted surface adhesions, whereas some others will like a coin with a colour closer to when it was first struck and used 2000 years ago. I wasn't the one who "conserved" the coin below, and though it came in an unpictured group lot, I don't have a problem keeping it either (so no, @Curtisimo, you can't have it. :p).

Hadrian - Drachm ex Grover Tyche 1967.JPG

Regarding the OP Caligula, without commenting on the asking price, I'll say that, as it stands, I prefer the "after" obverse but the "before" reverse. On the other hand, I 100% agree with this:

Curtisimo, DonnaML, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted