Variety Vista thoughts

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jhnby1017, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Jhnby1017

Jhnby1017 Member

Greetings to all and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

I have restarted collecting coins from my youth and have been very active in this fascinating hobby for the last two months. I can blame Covid for this, lol. I have watched tons of YouTube video's, downloaded several books on my Kindle Fire and also purchased a few books as well. Read many post on this great site and take advantage of your many replies to my post. All very much appreciated.

Now to the point ! I have updated my coin spread sheet with the ddo's, ddr's, rpm's and omm's from Vista for all USA Coin denominations so when I roll hunt I can easily know which dates to really scrutinize. My issue is that when viewing Vista errors I don't always see what they are eluding to as an error? They will show photo's of those errors and I often don't see anything at all that looks like an error to me. Most pic's I can see what they call an error but even then it seems like they are often pushing the envelope to include something so miniscule that you wonder about the authenticity of what they show.

I didn't include any pictures as examples not wanting to focus on just a few pic's. More interested in your general thoughts and comments.

Thank You,
    John

Robert Ransom likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I wandered down that same road and wondered the same thing. Good point.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

SensibleSal66 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Most of what you will find on Variety Vista is a variety, this nomenclature between variety and error, is sometimes difficult to differentiate between. A variety is on the working die. An Error is a problem that occurs in the minting process.

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

DUH! I do not know what happened to my brain transactions when I wrote my comment. VV lists DDO errors, for example, then categorizes those errors into varieties.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome back to the hobby!

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted