VARIETY: 1941-S Large "S" Jefferson Nickel FS-501

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wait, figured out who you are? Are you some infamous numismatic villain? Just tone it down a little and I think you will find more people willing to listen to you. It is okay to use the stick, but every once in a while you got give some carrot.

Paddy54, ldhair and imrich like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I practice "stick & carrot" according to what I read. I'm also pretty :shifty:...see, I have you posting on CT again. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sassy and Lehigh96 like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I feel this is where we all get in trouble. It's not what we know as much as how we say it. It's easy to be insulting but much harder to use words that teach without offending others. We all post things that we could have said in a more friendly way. I hope we can all learn from the mistakes we make and enjoy the hobby in a friendly way.

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Paul-

Thanks for your feedback. Your initial posting of this thread was excellent! Don't let my lack of understanding sadden you. I learned a lot from this thread and other members postings.

I just got:
    upload_2016-8-2_19-15-31.jpeg
    not understanding what you (and others) were articulating.

I'm just a hobbyist, not a dealer, investor, grader or professional numismatist.

Thanks again! tj

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I'm back. I don't give up that easy. The "learning" quest continues. And make no mistake about it, this is a learning exercise for me. I thought about starting a new thread but I wanted each of your opinions on this topic.

I've hit several local coin shops over the past few weeks here on the Island looking for that 41 S large mint mark, no luck.

I was on a business trip and found a coin shop outside Baltimore, MD. The guy had a three ring binder full of circulated and BU/MS Jefferson's. I turned to the 41S page. He had about 15. One by one I pulled them out of the sleeves and started checking them. I found what I think was his only 41 S large mint mark. Unfortunately, it's not in very good condition. I know this variety is only significant at 65 or higher. I don't mind being told I'm wrong for 50 cents. I'm hoping it's a large mint mark. Thanks for looking!

S20160816_003.jpg S20160816_004.jpg S20160816_005.jpg S20160816_006.jpg S20160816_007.jpg S20160816_008.jpg S20160816_009.jpg

cc: @Sassy

Sassy likes this.
  7. Insider

You got one!:happy:

Easy right?

TJ1952 likes this.
  8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yes, that is a large S, congrats

TJ1952 likes this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

The two guys I wanted to hear from the most.

I think it finally sunk in. At least for this one! Thank you!

P.S. Not only did I find the large S at this Baltimore coin shop, I picked up 3 used (Beautiful MS69 condition) Dansco Albums for 15 bucks each. A Jefferson, Mercury & Roosevelt.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Sassy

Sassy Member

Congrats!

TJ1952 likes this.
  11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@Sassy - See, like @Insider said; it's easy. We just have to be smarter then the coins! ;) In the big scheme of things, this was a minor success but a major success for me. It's just one step at a time. I was a distance runner in HS and College and then a Marine. Two things; never give up and always have a positive attitude!

Sassy likes this.
  12. Sassy

Sassy Member

Believe me I know not to give up very easily either. I was a distance runner in HS as well. I was in Law Enforcement for over 20 years. I dealt with the good the bad and the ugly! Yes I'm a female, but I'm also a tough gal! Thanks for the encouraging words!

TJ1952 likes this.
  13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Not a problem. I stand clear of females with guns!

Sassy likes this.
  14. Sassy

Sassy Member

That's what my husband says too! Lol!

15. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Excellent post, I am in the same camp with @bsowa1029

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm intrigued by this post since I look at similar variation of dies in the Early Large Cents.

I had thought that the technique of using master dies for every die would have eliminated such variation, but at least some, like this one, is evidence to the contrary. The die uses a different letter punch which mean at least part of the difference is intentional and not an accident affecting only one die in an identifiable way.

17. fish4uinmd

I was just told that there were more than one set of dies for the large mm.

18. Insider

:happy: Please ask that person to tell us the diagnostic markers for each die and perhaps they can provide photos for the different positions of the Large "S" mint mark found on each die.

Perhaps @Lehigh96 can help as his research shows one die pair.

19. fish4uinmd

Here's another reply from the seller:

Now that I have taken a look at the picture(s) you sent, the one on the right is a small mintmark. There are many people you can confirm this with including Bill Fivaz and James Wiles if you wish.

20. Insider

??? How did bsowa get into this thread??? I just looked up his posts and nothing on these nickels.

The dies are the same. The punch is what's different! Why this variety exists is a guess. Intentional or mistake?

21. fish4uinmd

Mistake, different thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted