VARIETY: 1941-S Large "S" Jefferson Nickel FS-501

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Great Suggestion!! I trust you'll avoid responding to the "Fool" (i.e. a person who acts unwisely or imprudently) who inaccurately responded to your post. One who seems to often deny normal comprehensive skills while insulting others superiorly stating axioms, or providing evidence rather than subjective rhetoric.

Logic doesn't phase some!

JMHO

Sassy and Insider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

So true, when the coins are very worn.;)

...Or when an uninformed non-collector refuses to believe what is right in front of their eyes. I've seen many cases at the FUN show when one authenticator tells a customer that his coin is a very poor fake; yet the person insists it is genuine. :arghh: Bet he goes to the other TPGS's to prove he is correct. :rolleyes:

Same thing here. I'm just an average collector yet I can see the HUGE difference in "style" between the two mint marks in Post#1.

I will not hold my breath but HOPEFULLY any posters of misinformation on any CT thread will correct the record as I have done 2-3 times when I learned I was wrong. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Sassy likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm completely unconcerned with anything but hard fact, and will be the first to admit being incorrect as long as fact proves it. Fact trumps ego. Having been teaching coin photography for the last decade and working with graphics software since the 1980's, though, I feel I've evolved a certain level of expertise regarding what can and can't, does and doesn't, happen in the digital imaging process and I don't see enough chance for the known distortions of such imaging to account for the spatial and sizing relationships in evidence here.

That means, by my reckoning, there's somewhere around an 85-90% chance that the images TJ1952 has presented accurately reflect the features of his coin. Optical distortions in digital imaging begin when coin and lens plane are out of parallel. Of the 4 images presented in Post #41 only the larger detail image shows any out-of-parallel condition, and it is close enough that an experienced coin macro photographer can guesstimate the degree of distortion. In this case, my guess is "not very darn much." :)

I am as interested as I am in this coin solely because the existing knowledge of the variety does not seem to support the physical evidence presented by it. When one considers the stature of those experts who designated the variety originally, a prudent scholar expects there to be an explanation for this coin in agreement with the laws of physics and "prevailing wisdom." But, there's enough here for a prudent scholar to require more proof than "because I said so."

Insider likes this.
  5. Insider

Very well said! :spitoutdummy: Please post :yack::yack::yack::yack: more of this...:D

imrich likes this.
  6. Insider

@imrich

I'm reminded of an old saying about arguing with a fool (like me) - look it up.

IMHO, this is a much better and more mature response. Good Luck SD. Research rules!

imrich likes this.
  7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Dave-

I'd have not problem taking you up on your offer. There's something I need to discuss with you first. I'll PM you. tj

Insider likes this.
  8. imrich

One doesn't exist as long as I and not have heard/seen the FOOLs' comments/actions. I've had "experience" son! LOL

It's believed that one who can't acknowledge personal foolish actions is only fooling themselves.

JMHO

Insider likes this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Pictures courtesy of Mr. John Wexler.

Large:
    [​IMG]

Small:
    [​IMG]

10. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well that didn't work.

Insider likes this.
  11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Let me try this again. Pictures courtesy of Mr. John Wexler.

Large:
    1941-S 5c Large S.JPG

Small:
    1941-S 5c Small S.jpg

Murphy45p and rzage like this.
  12. Insider

[​IMG]

Edit: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Glad you got those photos posted before I posted what I just wrote. :facepalm: Phew! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Seems to match the OP.

13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I had it ready to go in a 2x2 double pocket coin flip. It's now back in my Whitman Jefferson book. This one has been put to bed. Good night.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

TJ1952 likes this.
  15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Omg, what have you guys been doing? TJ your nickel is a small S. The most easily identifiable characteristic of the variety is the triangular serif at the bottom of the large S. No other mintmark in the entire series looks like the 41 Large S mintmark.

There were so many arguments in this thread that I can't possible answer every question. Someone mentioned verification that the Large S is from a single die pair. I got that information from Q. David Bowers A Guide Book of Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels where he states "Apparently from a single die pair, and likely a short run."

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask. I don't spend as much time on Cointalk as I used to but I do pop in from time to time.

Paul

Murphy45p likes this.
  16. Insider

Why is that?

17. Lehigh96

A multitude of reasons, but in part, because I just don't find many of the discussions here as interesting as they used to be. I find the same trend across all the forums lately.

As an aside, the update of this thread saddens me greatly. I wrote this thread in an attempt to make it easy for a collector to determine if a 41-S is small or large. You guys have been arguing about one coin for pages. It would seem that I failed miserably.

18. imrich

Paul, I believe the majority would agree that you did a great useful task in your posting. It appears that some just like to argue/post. Thanks for the appreciated resolute statement.

19. Insider

I feel your pain; and if I recall, we have even butted heads here before. Your OP was clear as a bell; yet many (Post#80,102,121,127, and 137 for example) still could not see the OBVIOUS difference between the two "S's" and condemned the "other" messenger. :smuggrin:

I have joined a bunch of forums last year. Been banned from one for trying to educate idiots :sorry: (the uninformed)and even had a "vacation" from this one.

Since joining, every knowledgeable numismatist (such as yourself) I have tried to get to join these forums has told me I'm an idiot (not in those specific words) for wasting my time. Thankfully, many others like Roger Burdett, David Lange, Fred Weinberg, Mike Diamond, Carr, Lustig, etc., etc. look at it differently.

Posting takes a lot of time; but trust me when I say YOU ARE NEEDED so please look in more often. ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  20. Lehigh96

I do recall us disagreeing about something, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was, and it isn't important. When people disagree, and they enter into a debate, the desired result is resolution or compromise. The key however is to have thick enough skin so that once the debate is over that any hard feelings can be easily dismissed. Take my epic debates with Doug for example. Doug and I basically have diametrically opposed opinions on numismatics, and I will argue with him until I am blue in the face trying to give the readers of this forum a dissenting opinion to his. But Doug is a good guy, and generally wants to help the people of this forum. In addition, he is a pretty good poker player which is always a good thing. My point is that despite our constant bickering on this forum, we are not enemies, just strong proponents of our opinions.

I sincerely hope that in our previous discussions I did not call or infer that you are an idiot. That said, you have a particular posting style that tends to irritate other people and gives the impression that you are a forum troll. My take is that it is not intentional, and it doesn't really bother me, but all evidence says that it does bother many other people on the forum. I guess what I'm asking is, are you sure that they are disagreeing with your content or your style?

imrich likes this.
  21. Insider

BOTH!o_O

I don't remember either; but I too enjoy "balancing" Doug's opinions when we disagree. Unfortunately I need to play nice now :troll: as he figured out who I am. :facepalm:

The folks who are telling me they are too busy and that "I'm an idiot" for being involved with "chats" are professional numismatists way above my pay grade. They would have added a great deal to discussions here.

Draft saved Draft deleted