VARIETY: 1941-S Large "S" Jefferson Nickel FS-501

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Becca

Becca New Member

Thank you!:) I haven't found any varieties, do you have any?? I do love war nickels and would love to see any you had.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am the war nickel king (self appointed of course). Take a look at my NGC registry set. I have both the 1943-P Doubled Eye and the 1943/2-P in that collection.

[​IMG]

I sold my 1945-P DDR's over the last few years.

Paul

Cheech9712 and Murphy45p like this.
  4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

superb article!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Great article! I've been looking hard for a large 41S and finally found one today. All of my coins are from banks and loose change (eg circulated). Have found five 41S coins in the past year in the Boston area. Most were quite worn, but any S coin is a big day for me. To find a 41S large S coin was cause for celebration! Now to learn that but one die of ten had this mark... out of 43.4 million, well that puts this right up there with my rarest finds. :)

I've found six proof nickels too. Sometimes you get lucky!

My collection is still lacking a few coins. Keeps the hunting fun. Also, you never know when you'll find an upgrade or a buffalo.

I'm still looking for: 38S, 39D, 39S, 42S, 43D, 44D, 44S, 45D, 50D.

I know, I know the 50D is a tough one. But I have found three 50 plains, so... maybe! :)

Cheers,

- Chris

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I've had some good luck finding 1950 D's in LCS bargain bins. I think last time I found some, they had 3 AU that I got for $10 total. Every coin dealer I've ever seen has had a stack of them... Never found one roll searching, though.

I'll have to check my variety box after revisiting this article...I think I have quite a few of them now.

7. Christobal

Hi stldanceartist,

LCS being... local coin shows? I haven't been to a coin show in probably 30 years. :)

Actually I had put my collecting on hold until about a year and a half ago. I started with pennies, who doesn't, but always saved all old coins. Then my Dad got back into his collecting and was showing me his finds and I got my passion back. Been going through rolls ever since. Maybe a box every other week. It's great fun, actually, but so few of my friends and family can understand the passion!

Anyway, I've started a buffalo nickel book now too, as I've found maybe 15 of those. And a Canadian nickel book. It does get to be an obsession.

While I have books for all current mint coins, I really enjoy nickels best. You never find silver quarters, dimes, or halfs at the bank, so those are less exciting to collect. With nickels, you can find most of the jeffersons and some buffalos in circulation. I even found a liberty nickel last year (1883, No Cent).

I probably should go to a coin show. Guess I feel that would take some fun out of the hunt, though. Being circulated, most of my coins are very worn. Probably they're not worth much. But I found them for $0.05 and you can't beat that! :)

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Local coin shop...

9. Christobal

Ah. Sorry! Newbie to the community.

I did visit the shop in the next town over, looking for Dansco pages. They weren't very friendly to me though when I learned they didn't have any unopened or even recently printed books. Ah well. I suppose I could swing by there again and see if they have a bargain bin. Or a foreign coins bin. My Canadian nickels and pennies books are missing many older dates!

Lehigh96 likes this.
  10. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and recently picking up coins again after many years. I really appreciate "Lehigh" Paul's photos and postings. Back in the early 70s as a kid I got into Jefferson nickels and have several that are either high MS 66 or possible 67s. A few are clearly FS, including a 1941S with full steps and outrageous luster. After seeing this post, I now also realize it is a Large S. None of my coins have ever been sent of a grading service. If I can get a decent photo I will try to post it.

JPeace$, Lehigh96 and Christobal like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to the fun. This thread is a bit old. You might want to start a new thread when you have images. More folks will notice it. We love images.

12. Christobal

Nothing wrong with restarting a quality thread. Welcome!

This thread is the one that brought me to the board. Excellent talk on the 41-S. :)

I've found just one big 41-S. Keeps me excited when I find a 41!

Insider and Lehigh96 like this.
  13. Lehigh96

I would like to see a photo of that nickel, and welcome to the forum, glad you liked the article.

14. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson New Member

The more I check out the Large S vs small S issue, the more confusing it becomes, particularly as it involves the placement of the MM. For example, see this slabbed PCGS "inverted" small S MM; it is lower (relative to the windows) than many of the Large S examples I have found on line from current or past auctions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321909179349?item=321909179349&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true
    Some Large S examples have a clearly defined triangular serif, others not so much. Keeps it interesting I guess. I

15. Lehigh96

Yeah, the small "S" is not always in exactly the same place, but most of the ones I have encountered are definitely above the where the large "S" is located. If you are talking about mint state examples, they should definitely show the triangular serif. I have never seen a large "S" without it.

16. CTois

CTois New Member

Is this a large S? I know the details are faint but I think it definitely drops below the window. Thanks for the article and opinions! 20151116_200305.jpg

17. ernie11

ernie11 Member

I need better eyes or better magnification, but I searched thru the circa twenty 1941-S nickels I have. I believe I found just one large S, unfortunately, my luck, it has some post-Mint rim damage issues.

18. I.L. McDougal

I.L. McDougal Active Member

Lehigh96,

Firstly thank you for the awareness you provided through your write-up. I had heard of this variation before but never paid much heed to it until I read your article last night. I am shocked at how under-searched this variation is, considering the price good examples can return.

Last night I did some hunting and found some online that I am pretty sure are the large S. I am waiting for the buys to arrive, so that I can verify the triangular serif. It was difficult to tell from the sellers pictures, but I am hopeful as the placement and size looked correct. (I didn't ask the sellers questions about the mark as to avoid tipping them off)

One of them, a graded high-example, will be the prize if I am correct. I paid only slightly over price guide for it as a standard 41-s. Once I verify that I am correct, I will post the find here. Thanks again for adding this to our variation arsenal!

19. I.L. McDougal

I.L. McDougal Active Member

Actually I can do one better and get some input while I'm at it. Here is the seller-provided picture of the reverse: $_3 (002).jpg

The image isn't a png so I cant expand it to get closer. I am hopeful, but I need to verify the triangular serif as mentioned. The grade is MS66

20. Lehigh96

The "S" looks pretty big but we still need to see a close up of the mint mark to be sure.

21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

@Lehigh96

Do you have any more information on the Quarter? I have been looking for some similar info, but I just keep getting brought back to this site and your awesome post on the nickel. I dont necessarily need the identifiers and image comparison, but I would be interested in knowing about the rarity and possibly the AU50-MS65 populations at PCGS and NGC.

And of course any other input that you might be willing to add or share on the topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted