Vandals

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Anyone proficient with Vandal coinage? While I know the coin below is an imitation of an Anastasius Nummus, I am not sure of the reference for it or the specific date. Sorry for the phone pic. Any help is appreciated. 1.png

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sending up the bat signal for @ValiantKnight ... This is his turf :)

Alegandron, stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

my thoughts exactly! sounds like a job for VK!

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Ken I am not immediately seeing your coin in Wroth, under small Vandal Bronzes. It does look like some gold issues of the early Ostrogoths. I would suspect it is just that an imitation of Anastasius or in a poor state of preservation. They are given a broad range of dates AD 423 - 533 seems to be the magic numbers.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Jango => where the hell is Jango!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ummm, well until he shows-up => have you ever seen this sweet Vandal coin?

=> Vandal Horse!!

VANDALS IN CARTHAGE, Æ 21 NUMMI
    Attribution: MEC 45
    Date: 523-533 AD
    Obverse: Soldier standing facing
    Reverse: Head of horse left, XXI in exergue
    Size: 20.26 mm
    Weight: 6.28 grams
    Vandal Horse.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Theodosius, Ancientnoob, TIF and 5 others like this.
  7. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Always tough to attribute the generic-looking imitations to the Vandals. I don't have Wroth with me so Anoob is probably right with this one. Though as an obscure piece of very late Roman history I still find your coin interesting.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Ken Dorney

Well, I finally tracked it down. It is indeed Vandals, BMC141-149. On a side note, anyone notice that when you use the various search engines for the archives (paid subscription or not) that you get different results day to day even when using the same search string???

9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Im going to check that out, I did not see the match in BMC, produced by Wroth.

10. Ken Dorney

11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

There are lot of tiny, ill-struck, coins thought to be issued by the Vandals according to Wroth in 1908 that scholars no longer attribute with any confidence to the Vandals. Nevertheless, dealers like to use the old "Vandal" attribution because it sells coins. There are larger Vandal types correctly attributed to the Vandals, but just because an AE4 is crude does not mean it is Vandalic.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted