Featured VAMWorld is Dead! Long Live VAMWorld!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by messydesk, Oct 1, 2018.

1. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Congrats on your hard work to get the new VAMWorld site up and running.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

Thank you for getting the site up and running. its a great site

messydesk likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thanks @messydesk , that was nice of you to do that.
    I'm not a VAM guy, but it's good to keep it available for those that are.

messydesk likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My hat's off to ya John ! :)

I think your work, effort, and dedication is unrivaled ;)

messydesk likes this.
  6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did nothing to help, yet I was extremely pissed off about his little remark. Totally thoughtless and utterly classless. Batting 1.000 for the prototypical Millennial. Too eager to throw out their thoughts without actually thinking about what they are saying or how they may affect others.

I can only imagine the mind numbing hours that were spent running scripts with the most mundane tasks. He did it because it needed to be done, not because someone told him to do it. I for one have the utmost respect for him and the task he accomplished. My hat is off to you @messydesk!

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

He did far more to influence what people thought of him than he did opinions of VAM collecting.

Running the scripts was pretty much hands-off once they worked correctly. I tested them on small, manageable amounts of data, which grew a little at a time as I added test cases or found issues. Configuring an AWS Linux instance, then installing and configuring phpbb and MediaWiki were interesting tasks, as I got to learn about all that stuff in the process. Once I did the giant batch import of everything and it worked, that was pretty cool.

Thanks!

tibor, Dave Waterstraat and jtlee321 like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I very much appreciate your work on the VAM site and also your time verifying some VAMs I've just ventured into while broadening my EAC focus.

So far so good with a 1896-S VAM 1A and a 1921 VAM 75A.

Draft saved Draft deleted