VAMs and Value are they worth the certification bucks or a wash?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NewB, Jan 30, 2011.

1. NewB

NewB New Member

I'm sitting here with a loop researching VAMs on one Morgan....1884-O. I have found 5 matches so far of 51 listed. I also found doubling on the reverse on every letter of "In God We Trust" (Very clear doubling) and the "OF" in United States of America. Doubling is also present in other letters of United States of America. This doubling I can't find in the VAMs listed at VAM World.
    My question is, does anyone think these variations/errors will increase the value of this coin enough to justify the cost of certification, VAM research, insurance and shipping both ways. The coin might make MS-63 (couple small dings and scratches).
    I have identified: VAM-10, VAM-35, VAM-44, VAM-45 and VAM-51 so far. There may be other matches that I missed.

1884-O Doubling.jpg This is the best I could do with the pic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Did you try sorting them by the "Round O" & "Oval O" mintmarks and the date position? Did you check for overlapping reeding?

Most of the values for 84-O VAM's won't justify the cost of grading & attribution. You could always send it to ANACS. They will research & attribute all VAM's, and their prices are lower than NGC & PCGS.

Chris

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

It can only be one VAM, because each VAM number identifies a specific die pairing. Whether it's worth the submission costs, depends on what VAM it is (If it's a more popular VAM; Top 100, Hit List 50, it may be worth it).

5. cpm9ball

Raider, I believe that he meant he had narrowed down the list to those possibilities, but your first statement is not entirely accurate. A die pair may have multiple die states which can change the VAM designation.

Chris

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yes, I think I misread his post. In that case, VAM 10 and VAM 35 are in the Hot 50, so those may be worth submitting, depending on the grade. NewB, what would you say the grades are on the 10 and 35?

7. cpm9ball

VAM-10 is a "so-called" O/CC and in MS63 is only worth about $100. VAM-35 is a doubled eyelid and in MS63 is only worth about $150.

Chris

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

True, but a single coin ( as in hand) can only be 1 VAM #, and I believed the OP is talking about one coin in hand. Often people starting with VAMS will find markers that also can occur on other VAM#, and think it is a specific indicator, when it may only refer to one die of the marriage.

NewB, is it just 1 1884-O Morgan or are you looking at a large number of 1884-O morgans?
    Also , the doubling you mention not being on the VAM list is most likely Machine Doubling.

Jim

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Yeah, the only doubling I see in that picture is machine doubling, from what I am able to see.

Out of curiosity, how common is MD on Morgans?

10. NewB

NewB New Member

First let me say thanks for all the replies.

The coin in the pic above has the oval "O" with the raised area in the left center (O/O). As seen in the pic it shows doubling across the top reverse (I cant tell if it's mechanical or not). There seems to be minor doubling on the arrows and on the left side olive leaves (I cant tell if it's mechanical or not). On the face the 4 in the date is higher than the 8.

It seems to have pieces of several VAM listings on this coin and I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone think a highly minted coin like the 1884-O Morgan in MS or better condition would be worth the expense of slabing if VAMs are present? I would have to pay for the research, I'm going cross eyed trying to match these VAMs.

11. NewB

NewB New Member

Vam-45

The best I can tell it's the VAM-45, as all of the features in this VAM are present on this coin. I'm calling this coin a lower MS grade, but I'm not a grader so the grade is up to the grading gods. I'm trying now to find the added value of the VAM-45 atributes and estimate the grading fees to see if it's worth the money.

12. cpm9ball

There are very few of the 1884-O VAM's that are worth having graded until you get into the MS64/65 range and that includes many DMPL's. There is no pricing data available on the VAM-45 in the 2011 VAMView Price Guide. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it to submit for grading.

Chris

13. NewB

NewB New Member

Thanks Chris,

I agree...it's in the graders hands and it's just too common a mint year. Still worth more than melt but not worth the certify. I have two others that are in perfect condition (no atributes), and another with simular atributes but none are worth the cost of the slab. That's that.

Draft saved Draft deleted