Vampire training(1921 morgan) fledglings and vet vampires alike

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Oct 7, 2016.

1. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

I knew I recognized that 21p ms64 CAC...that was my coin a while back ;)

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Hey, man. I remember our correspondence on this coin, as well as some other Morgans I bought from you. Collectorscrypt, right?

talkcoin likes this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Time for ALL CT **members, to show ammo..come xemmmmm respect...

Excuse me folks ... I bnaabrzmaydd
    I'm aannebeiated, show some respect :wacky:

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This includes Miller :p

Paddy54 and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Time to give this thread a nudge. Not the best images but how about a meteor shower.
    20141019_024_opt.jpg 20141019_022_opt.jpg 20141019_024_opt2.jpg

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's a couple of cool 21's. Sadly though they are not mine. They are part of the ANA's permanent collection.

20160629_113206.jpg

8. Dave Waterstraat

Here's another Zerbe I drooled over in Dallas earlier this year. :) Not mine as well...
    IMG_0511.JPG

9. Dave Waterstraat

Time for another bump ttt. A very recent pick that I know SuperDave will recognize immediately.
    1921.D.obv.1.2k.JPG 1921.d.rev.1.2k.JPG 1921.d.obv2.1.2k.JPG 1921.d.rev2.1.2k.JPG 1921.d.revS.jpg

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Guys I have a question/observation on VAMs. Why is it that Rarity number matters so much less than with, say, Capped Bust Halves? With many Capped Bust Halves, a Rarity 5 gets HUGE money. A Rarity 6 gets astronomical money. Here is a 1883-O VAM 1D Morgan I own. It's a Rarity 6. Yet I'll be hard pressed to sell it for $195, even though it's PL too. Any insights?
    DSCN5760-horz.jpg

11. heavycam.monstervam

12. heavycam.monstervam

I believe the WOW factor, for Vams, plays more of a roll than R factor, I also know that bust guys and Vampires,while the same in some ways, are a completely different animal, and not cut from the same cloth(so to speak)

Also, there are countless ways to collect Morgans, and different short sets, within the Morgan series. You would have a harder time finding a buyer for SOME of the plain jane R5 + coins imo

I hope all that hillbilly mumbo jumbo made as much sense(to you) as it did to me;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The rarity and interest numbers are Leroy's estimation at the time he classifies them. Occasionally they get updated when he does a revison but it usually takes time to know if an r6/7 is a true r6/7 by definition and he's the only one that can change the numbers. Basically they're just a guesstimation

C-B-D and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  14. Dave Waterstraat

The 1883-O V1D is not a true R-6. As Chris stated above rarity numbers for VAMs are just a best estimate by Leroy at time of discovery. I have two VAM-1D's and have seen more in the wild that I've passed on. A friend of mine just bought a roll of '83-Os that contained (3) V4's, (2) V1Ds and a V33A and offered any or all to me at cost plus. Out of this group the 33A seems to be the least common. Bottom line is the 1D is not a value added VAM and even the V-4 should not be based on the population.

15. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

How have I missed this thread?
    I was gonna post my morgans but my pictures kinda suck for showing off VAMs so I will retake some of my pictures and post them later today.

I havent gotten around to my Peace Dollars yet. But soon.

16. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Not a Morgan, but clearly a vampire has been through here. It even left the coin red...

bc1958D_66FtRO1o1t.JPG

17. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ok nothing too special with these. Im just happy I attributed these. 1921's are a real pain in the butt and I still haveone that has me stumped. But here are three ive done

1921 VAM 3P
    2016-11-12-21-43-06.jpg
    2016-11-12-21-43-39.jpg

1921 VAM 3BN Dot on left wing
    2016-11-12-21-45-26.jpg
    2016-11-12-21-45-57.jpg

1921 VAM 3AO2
    Plus strike Through
    2016-11-12-21-44-17.jpg
    2016-11-12-21-44-50.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted