Vampire training(1921 morgan) fledglings and vet vampires alike

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Oct 7, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

For me, this is more like, "Which one do you want to see?" :)

Cascade likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Well, since this is sort of a fun w '21 thread, how about the best cracked, biggest chip, or any cuds you may have:woot:

4. SuperDave

I got something in mind and the day off to do it. This'll take a while, though. :)

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I still don't get vamming. I can't force myslef to see why it matters so much that one coin is microscopically different from another.

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Once it gets microscopic it rarely matters value wise. That's more about being able to add to the current body of knowledge for future generations

7. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Here are some of my 1921 Morgans. Recognize any of these, Cascade?

I haven't Vammed this one yet: 1921 PCGS MS64 CAC

[​IMG]

1921-S VAM-9 Doubled Profile-Left Stars PCGS XF45: Unattributed

[​IMG]

1921 VAM-3C Pitted Reverse PCGS MS63:

[​IMG]

talkcoin and charlietig like this.
  8. SuperDave

Yet the post you made just before this one was about the fact that you use Newcomb to attribute Large Cents. :)

mill rat41 likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

I just said I have it. If I sell a large cent, I just want to make sure I don't have a rarity. ;)

I don't care about large cent varieties either. They just make good cherrypicking potential to sell to those that do. I guess the same can be said about Morgans as well, but I still don't understand why such a minor variation in a die can cause so much excitement and sometimes strong premiums (1921 Thornhead, for example).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. TypeCoin971793

So, a hundred years from now, collectors will find it pressingly important to do a die pair analysis of a Minnesota Statehood Quarter? I don't see why die pair analysis is so important for common coins. Rarities I can understand as it is helpful for authentication. But 1921 Morgans? Or 1847 large cents?

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe @messydesk can answer this with more vigor and insight than I can

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Important? Typically not. People are doing it because it's a hobby they enjoy.

mill rat41 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  13. SuperDave

You think that's bad? Half of all Morgans were melted under the Pittman Act. We know the task of identifying all the Morgan Dollar die pairs is not possible. But we're trying anyway. :)

I get your point, and hope you take no offense at me poking fun over it. Not all collectors are wired that way, and the playing field is large enough for us all to fit onto it.

Could you imagine trying to identify the die pairs for computer-produced dies and mintages of half a billion per year, per mint? I'm minded of the idea of monkeys sitting at typewriters, expecting the entire works of Shakespeare.

14. TypeCoin971793

Fair enough. Do what you like, and I do what I like. :)

15. TypeCoin971793

I think we are equally poking fun at each other. :)

16. SuperDave

Fair. :)

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You basically answered your own question.....some of us, can't afford to collect big, expensive coins.... so we find other ways to feed our habit. Cherry picking,vest pocket dealing,studying vams etc...
    It's basically the thrill of the hunt, and, if you can't feel that, then you haven't truly discovered the coin hobby, plus, who wouldn't love to find an 1889p vam 23a out in the wild??

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

To be honest, some of the VAMs are interesting, but only to the extent that there is a difference I can see with an unaided eye (1890 CC tailbar, 1888 O Hot Lips, @talkcoin 's scribbler, etc). They are not in my collecting interest, so I sould sell them if I found them, but I can understand why those would command strong premiums over "normal" coins.

Hommer likes this.
  19. SuperDave

I derive the majority of my enjoyment of VAMs simply from attributing them. It's plain that I'll never be able to collect any significant number of them - not with something close to 6,000 extant and more being found every day - so it becomes an intellectual exercise. That exercise, just like any other sort of exercise, has improved the skill being practiced and made me far better at attributing any other issue out there.

It allows me to enjoy your coins just as much as my own.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  20. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Time to give this thread the nudge it deserves. How about a goldfish. :) 1921.3o.obv.1k.JPG 1921.3o.rev.1k.JPG 1921.v3o.obv.JPG

talkcoin likes this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted