Vampire training(1921 morgan) fledglings and vet vampires alike

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Oct 7, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

OK vamps, and young fledglings ....
    Here is a latest pickup, and how I came to my VAM attributing decision...... sometime , in your young careers , you will come across a Morgan Dollar, and realize it is a pretty cool specimen.... Normally a veteran vampire ,will go ahead and confirm which Vam it is, (w/1921s) using the die crack attribution guide, or just wait until you get home(before purchase) ,if u know u have a cool and possibly rare/late die state Vam.
    I, today, was looking at a very cracked up, and late state vam, so, for $20 , I decided to wait until I got home to determine which vam I had............Being a veteran vampire, I knew the die chip, and multiple cracks/breaks going on here would be a cool vam regardless.... so here she be-attributed as vam 24a3 (which took all of 30 seconds) with the big die chip above the U . She's an R6 folks. .....Which is pretty darn good......
    Old / new vamps , those who wanna be vamps..... what say ye?? IMAG2900_1.jpg View attachment 543391 IMAG2903_1.jpg Screenshot_20161007-204303.png
    Maybe one day @SuperDave, will thread a write up ,. Of the different nuances it takes ,to attributing 1921 Morgan's .... hopefully, this kick starts him into doing such a daunting thread.... maybe, just maybe......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    talkcoin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Superdave doesn't have that kinda time ;)

Sometimes you get lucky with cracks or scribbles or a prominent gouge etc but more often than not they are a spectacular excersize in patience and the ability to withstand a headache

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

SuperDave has had one of those under his lens and yeah, cool variety!

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Very cool variety , :)

6. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

...just got this scribbler 21s in the mail today!

IMG_0863.PNG

7. heavycam.monstervam

Holy Mother Mary of God!!!!!! That coin sir, is definitely worthy of this hillbilly, '21 thread. What does the obverse look like(not that it matters,heh heh) anybody else got a cool '21?????

talkcoin and Cascade like this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm at a kids birthday party right now, 1AR1?

Paging @messydesk

9. heavycam.monstervam

Well
    Since you. ... Mr, (made more $$$ than anyone I know, off '21 Morgan's) are Ssuper's protege, you're next In line to do a big write up thread on the skill/luck/strategy it takes to be a true -'21 Morgan afficianado/entrepreneur of the trade....:shifty::troll::shifty::troll::shifty:

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Bit more than one. :)

Here's the 24A1 sorta-EDS, still has the pitting but no displaced field yet at the break (don't think this one's been seen publicly before):

V24A1Obv.JPG

V24A1Rev.JPG

1921's require one of three things: A smoking-gun pickup, identifiable scribbling scratches which are illustrated at VAMworld, or sheer luck. There is - literally - very little enjoyment in attributing 1921's except the relief felt when you're done.

That is a rather cool coin.

1921-S is notorious for greatly overpolished dies; methinks they had a problem with dies rusting. Yours bears a passing resemblance to VAM-1AA, but has less-extensive polishing than it and the pattern doesn't make sense as an earlier version of the imaged example. I wonder if it's another variety with these lines unmentioned (hard to believe) or a die state not yet known?

11. Paddy54

"Anyone else got a cool 21 ?????"

Well I did once .....of course I was 22 ,and that was 40 years ago! I believe she left me for a pint of Jack and a 6 pk of Molson Gold. o_O

12. SuperDave

OK, here's a "cool 1921" which is - like a few - only a source of frustration to me:

V41AObv.JPG

V41ARev.JPG

1921-P VAM-41A, the one before the heavily-polished, famous and rather common 41B. Not easy to find.

The frustrating part? These are among my earlier efforts with dSLR camera work, almost ten years ago. Two years before this variety was identified.

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yes. VAM 1AR1. Those aren't scribbles, though. Very aggressive die polishing, probably to remove a clash. Scribbles came before the dies were placed into service.

14. Paddy54

15. SuperDave

I stand corrected. Talkcoin's image ought to be added to the VAMworld page; the current image does the polishing no justice.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

My thoughts exaxtly! Hopefully @talkcoin will give his permission to use the photo on VW

17. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

here
    ...absolutely 100% no problem of course you guys can use/have the photo! I paid $60 or something for it cause it's semi-PL. It's ms62 and not a very pretty coin when all is said and done, but just on character alone...I love her ;)

...but seriously, if you guys want better photos or if you even want to see the damn coin in hand, that's fine also...I'm actually human so just let me know how I can help and I'm down ;)

18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

If we're turning this into a fun with 21 thread here's one I snagged a while ago that fits 1921d.8a.obv.1k.JPG 1921d.8a.rev.1k.JPG 1921d.8a.rev2.jpg

And yes, I do have another (or two) :)

heavycam.monstervam and talkcoin like this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

Very nice, I've owned one of those before, (an earlier state) I wish I took images of the '21s filled MM I picked up last week.... I came an ace from posting it too... this is what it looked like though- 1921-S_VAM_1CC_Photo_3.jpg -image borrowed from vam world-

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Some cooler 21's I have at hand...

26a Infrequent Reeding or "Wide Reeds"

20161008_201734.jpg 20161008_201744.jpg 20161008_201713.jpg

Vam 9 eds

20161008_201821.jpg 20161008_201831.jpg 20161008_201914.jpg

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

21d Vam 1F

20161008_201523.jpg 20161008_201533.jpg 20161008_201538.jpg

21p vam 3FS

20161008_201146.jpg 20161008_201153.jpg 20161008_201215.jpg 20161008_201422.jpg 20161008_201454.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted