VAM question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Broncoholic, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

I just picked up this 1887 Morgan because I noticed several anomalies and was hoping the experts could help me out. There is a "spike" at the top of the eagle wing, a "spike" at her throat, some doubling between her chin and lower lip, image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg a line connecting the word UNITED, and a raised "triangle" at the wreath. Is this an attributed VAM?

Also, is it common for NGC to miss these anomalies and give it a straight grade without a VAM attribution? This one is graded by NGC as a 64 with no mention of variety.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

All of the marks you noted are from die clashes, and these marks are some of the most common which, in and of themselves, do not warrant attribution. The only VAM's that NGC will attribute besides the 1878's are the Top 100, Hot 50 and Hit List 40. If your coin does not fall into one of the last three groups, then NGC will not attribute it.

Since you have the coin in hand, it would be easier for you to go to the VAMWorld
    listings and find it yourself.

Chris

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Upon 1st glance, it appears to be an alligator eye.... which is a top 100 coin.... dont get too excited though, its not rare at all, i run across these pretty regularly... which makes me believe this is one of the most common top 100 morgan vams out there

6. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the info. I've looked briefly at the VAM WORLD link and I'm not sure how to use it properly. Do I have to meet all of the markings to be attributed as a certain VAM? Because I can find that my coin has one or two required, but can't make out the third marking as listed under that specific VAM.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Does one win the lottery with just one or two numbers? This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades. ;)

Seriously though, take some time looking through the site; there is a lot of good info on how to attribute, etc. Yes, it can be a bit tedious, but if this area interests you, it will be time well spent.

Draft saved Draft deleted