VAM Peace dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JayAg47, Feb 23, 2021.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if this is considered a VAM coin, there is a line going across the neck, I'm sure it's not a scratch, but a line due to cracked dies. If so, does it have any premiums?
    vam.jpg
    peace.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

If the vam isn't in the top 100 it usually doesn't add any value

JayAg47 likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Peace dollar obverse dies tend to crack there, so you will see many Peace dollars with cracks that are very similar, but not identical, to each other. This crack alone would not have caused a variety to be cataloged. If the crack widens to a thicker die break, then it would be cataloged. There's another crack that goes through the Y of LIBERTY that is also common. At any rate, there is no premium for this.

JayAg47 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely a cracked Die but no added value to thecoin as it's very common. Not a top 100 VAM so no excitement.

JayAg47 likes this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Go to VAM World and research. Almost every Morgan or Peace dollar have a VAM assigned...a normal die pair with no extra attributes usually gets VAM 1. Some coins, a very small percentage, do not have a VAM assigned: 1879-O-VNA. While you are researching, when you see “VNA”, it means “VAM Not Assigned”. The reason, I am told, is that minor die cracks or clashing without letter transfer by themselves do not warrant a designation...props to @messydesk ...Spark

JayAg47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted