Valuing coins that were donated.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by platterofhotfish, Jun 23, 2018.

1. platterofhotfish

platterofhotfish New Member

Hello all,

I am not a coin collector but I figured this was a good place to turn for advice.

My wife works for our local animal shelter and they received a donation of some "rare" coins to sell. I use quotation marks because I do not actually know how rare or valuable they are but have to take the word of the person who donated them. Not selling them here just determining which, if any, of them are worth the effor. I'll just put descriptions in this post except for three coins of unknown origin and if you think anything might be worth something I will post a picture.

American coins:
    2 Nickels from 1941 and 1947
    4 Pennies from 1944, '50, '51, and '53

Canadian coins:
    5 Pennies from 1951, '53, '63, '66, '71

Other Countries:
    Germany
    Deutsches Reich 1 Pfennig 1896 and 1915
    Deutsches Reich 5 Pfennig 1920
    Deutsches Reich 20 Pfennig 1920
    Belgium
    Royaume De Belgique 5 Ces 1920
    Poland
    Krolestwo Polskie 20 Fenigow 1918
    France
    Republiqe Francaise 10c 1916
    South Arabia

1 Fils 1964
    Unknown origin
    N. Mies 10 Ahrweiler (No year visible)
    Stadt U Landkreis Bonn-Siegkreis 5 PFG
    Coin from a middle eastern country. I do not read the language. Photo attached.
    Middle Eastern Coin Front resized.jpg Middle Eastern Coin Back resized.jpg
    An extremely worn 1850's coin I believe is from the US but am unsure. Photo attached
    Unknown US Coin Front resized.jpg Unknown US Coin Back resized.jpg
    Coin of no monetary value with the inscription "Good Luck Will Accompany The Bearer" and pictures of good luck symbols and a man in a turban. Photo attached.
    Good Luck Token Back resized.jpg Good Luck Token Front resized.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The coins and tokens ( no denomination) together is less than a few dollars I suspect. Nothing much with the US ones unless they are spectacular condition. I am sorry for the animals not getting a big value, but not a lot. Maybe someone else will see something there I missed. Thanks for your caregiving. Jim

4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The Middle Eastern coin is from Israel, the very worn coin is from France. As @desertgem said, very little monetary value in this group unless some of the coins you listed are in extremely high grades, which seems unlikely. Sounds like the donor had their heart in the right place, but knew very little about coin values.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I imagine they are trying to use this as some kind of tax deduction.

Draft saved Draft deleted