Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by StacyK, Jul 20, 2019.

1. StacyK

StacyK Member

Hi. These are some coins that were in my Dad's collection. Does anyone know the value of any of them? Any information would be appreciated. I'd like to sell them and just don't want to get ripped off.

Attached Files:

fretboard and Autoturf like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

More than I can afford, someone will be along to help give you an idea.
    and Welcome to CT.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    StacyK likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Stacy. When you say "some" I take that to mean there are more coins, if so, I would find a reputable coin dealer in your area to evaluate the collection. They should do it for a small fee, but then you'd know.

StacyK and spirityoda like this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Stacy.... It appears your father had a very good eye. I am looking on my phone and cannot evaluate these from a small cell phone image.

The coins in the first and second photo are bullion coins best I can tell. Without pulling up the most current spot gold level (changes by the minute), gold is trading around $1425.00 per ounce. It’s simple enough to do the arithmetic from there. Expect a dealer may pay 10% less because he needs to make money too.

The last photo appears to be high grade Liberty Head in 5, 10, and 20 dollar denominations. If they are as nice as they appear in the photo, they could bring a premium. An in hand evaluation needs to be done for those pieces.

Last thing I would offer is this. I assume if your dad left them to you to mean he is no longer with you and I am sorry for the loss. I understand the need for spendable cash. Just know that cash is fleeting. It comes and it goes. Gifts from dad once gone are always gone. Best of luck!

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hi Stacy,
    Here's what I would do. First of all, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell your gold coins at all. Meaning, take your time selling these gold coins. That means when you're ready to sell, go to at least three different coin shops in your area and get estimates on how much they would pay you for the top American Gold Eagle Coin set. Only take the American Gold Eagle Coin set, I think the date is 1988 but I could be wrong. Some coin dealers will try to buy for peanuts as the least they pay for gold coins, the more they will make. :smuggrin: That's expected but some will outright show their greed up front by offering an extremely low price, stay away from them! ;) It may help you to tell us what City you are in as many of us know the good coin shops from the bad, but that's up to you. :cigar: As far as your old Gold Liberty Head Coins, looks like a 5, 10, and 20 dollar denominations, keep those as the condition looks really good!:D You may even want to send those in and have them graded, that way you'll be able to better determine how much they are worth. The Gold Liberty Head Coins is the area where somebody could easily really rip you off by saying they're common dates and rah, rah, rah. I wouldn't even sell them without having them graded first but that's up to you. :D

StacyK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted