Value Please? Roman Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by marbury518, Jan 23, 2019.

1. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

I do not collect ancient coins but this came with a collection of other coins and I thought the grade looked good. Any help appreciated. 100_0869.JPG 100_0869.JPG 100_0868.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a nice coin and they come in several different varieties, depending on the type of crowns worn by the figures on the obverse and the placement and type of the wreath and palm on the reverse. I'm not sure whether these varieties carry much of a premium compared to the most common types. Yours is nicer than my example, for which I paid $76:

Augustus and Agrippa Nemausus Crocodile.jpg

Johndakerftw and Ryro like this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Hey @marbury518 can we get a rim shot of the coin?

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

AUGUSTUS AND AGRIPPA COL NEM 2.jpg
    Ours looks to be the same issue, with yours better centered. I gave about $220-230 for this one last year, from VCoins dealer Incitatus Coins. Yours, if genuine, is probably to be valued in that ballpark.

Your coin's flan is almost perfectly round and the details of your coin look a bit soapy to me, which is why Aidan probably wanted to see the coin's edge to check for a casting seam. But I've only once weighed in on authenticity by photo alone and was wrong, so I will not make any claims here. So much depends on whether you can trust your seller.

Yours is really well centered--a trait difficult to find on these issues. See https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/impossible.html

Johndakerftw likes this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

More details on this issue:

upload_2019-1-23_7-50-6.png

Andres2, dadams and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Need weight and measurements as well. I could very well be way off base, but something about the obverse looks wrong. But since there is such a variety, perhaps I just haven't seen one like yours.

coin_nut, Jwt708 and dougsmit like this.
  8. Gavin Richardson

I think the style is right for the coin; the coin's surface is what I'm responding to. Perhaps it's just honest wear.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think it's authentic.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  10. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

New electronic scales just arrived. 13.29g and edge attached. This coin was purchased from a retired senior military officer in the Roman city of Chester, UK.

Attached Files:

11. Gavin Richardson

12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

13. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Would prefer one of you experts to tell me...…...my guess would be about $400-500...….but saw one sell much higher...…….hope the weight and rim scan helped.

14. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I think 200-300 would be upper limit for your coin, I bought mine for 196 AUD from a Vcoin dealer a few years back. NMf52W3dH5c6Ts3Xr8TaCaD97Pifz4.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing and NLL like this.
  15. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

marbury518. Crocodiles are usually the emblem of Egypt. On Roman coins referring to that province. The crocodile chained to the palm branch could be Augustus power over Egypt. Could be linked with Cleopatra VII.

16. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

OK but your example seems to have chopped off Agrippa's face.

17. Bert Gedin

Hi. Agrippa's chopped off face wasn't my doing, I assure you, marbury518. Is the villain lurking about here somewhere ???

18. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

There are a few things on the OP that make me think it is a cast, particularly the odd seperation vertically down Agrippa's face. Weight is not much help unless significantly below or above the range for these. I hate to condemn authentic vcoins, so this is just my opinion based on the image.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Gavin Richardson

These issues are notoriously poorly centered; there's so much going on with that coin that it's difficult to get it all on one flan. This fact explains two things: 1) Why collectors of this coin may have a greater tolerance for off-centered strikes; and 2) Why collectors might pay a premium for a coin as well centered as yours.

But how much of a premium? That depends on the collector. Yours has a pleasing even wear, but the details are not as sharp as on issues that bring $400-500. This is why I'd agree that $300 would be an upper limit for your coin.

But by all means, if you can get $500 or more for that coin, more power to you. You asked for input on value. You received links showing ranges. Then you asked for specific estimates, and now you're getting them, though they seem to be lower than you want. Ultimately, the market will decide. Maybe offer it at $500 or more somewhere and see if you have a taker. 30-60 days at a given price point will probably tell you more than I can.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These coins were first used by veterans of Augustus and Agrippa's war against Antony and Cleopatra. The city was founded as a colony for retired veterans who would be quite proud of chaining that crocodile.

coin_nut likes this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Yes, possibly many military veterans would be proud of chaining a crocodile. Seems there was also a warrior saint of the Greek Church. A legend of him tells of him having a dragon at his feet, occasionally a crocodile. But another saint was also called Theodore, and it may have been him who was formerly a patron saint of Venice.

Draft saved Draft deleted