Value on these two Ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paddy54, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me a value on these two? I haven't a clue and wish to liquidate them as I don't collect ancients. Thanks in advance. Rom 1 obv..jpg Rom coin 1 rev.jpg Rom coin 2 obv..jpg Rom coin 2 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps @John Anthony might be willing to put them in one of his offerings.

4. Paddy54

@stevex6 can you ID please ? Thanks

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This is Mr. x6's secretary. He is in a meeting with Mr. Molson and asked me to provide the following information.

Both are coins from the Roman Republic.

1st coin:

Denarius from moneyer Cn. Gellius, 138 BCE. Example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    372, Lot: 358. Estimate $100.
    Sold for $120. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Cn. Gellius. 138 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.77 g, 11h). Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; X (mark of value) to left; all within laurel wreath / Mars driving galloping quadriga right, grasping Nerio beside him and holding shield. Crawford 232/1; Sydenham 434; Gellia 1. VF, toned, minor deposits.

2nd coin:

Serrate denarius from moneyer Tiberius Claudius Nero, 79 BCE. It is #383 in Crawford's reference. A similar coin from CNG's archives is shown below. Note that for this type there are a large number of different control marks above the exergual line. Per Crawford: "The control-marks on the reverse are the numerals from I to CLXVIIII, and then the letter A with the numerals from I to CXXVIIII; each control mark has only one die." There are 182 known reverse dies.

[​IMG]
    378, Lot: 435. Estimate $100.
    Sold for $75. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Ti. Claudius Ti.f. Ap.n. Nero. 79 BC. AR Serrate Denarius (20mm, 3.90 g, 3h). Rome mint. Diademed and draped bust of Diana right; quiver and bow terminating in stag’s head over shoulder / Victory driving galloping biga right, holding wreath, reins, and palm frond; A • CXIII(?) below. Crawford 383/1; Sydenham 770a; Claudia 6. VF, lightly toned, a few light scratches.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    GregH, Valentinian, Bing and 2 others like this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@Paddy54 I didn't elaborate on the ID I assumed you knew that since they're yours. My apologies. I extended what I thought the value as a buyer on the 1st coin. Which really isn't far off. Considering what TIF showed to be estimate value.

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Both coins are not as well preserved as the coin's @TIF showed, so I'd expect them to fetch 20% to 30% less.

Smojo, TIF and red_spork like this.
  8. Paddy54

Thanks for the speedy reply , I'm guessing that Mr. X6's meeting is with Mr. Molson Gold , plan on having the same meeting with Mr. Corona,and his business partner Mr. Avion Silver very shortly .
    Again many thanks for the info . Cheers:pompous:

TIF likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmmm... searching on reputable sites... RR Denarii rising popularity over last few years... 20-30% less... Unless you are willing to buy volume... Good luck with that! :)

10. Paddy54

The second coin has an assayers mark also I do know that much... :pompous: bottoms up

Draft saved Draft deleted