Value of Raw '86 S Statue of Liberty Proof coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ron_c, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

A few years ago, my daughter bought, at a yard sell, 4 boxes of the '86 S Statue of Liberty, dollar and half dollar sets, in raw condition and gave a total of $35 for them.

Are the dollars, only worth melt, and just spend the half dollars?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How many coins are there? These are 90% silver.
    I wouldn't spend the half dollars, they are worth the silver or
    more. Of course a lot depends on condition, but I guess both the halves and the
    silver dollars are worth more than melt.
    Without pictures it's only a theory.

4. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure mine are just clad. The half anyways.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'd keep them all together, and just hoard them away. But that's me.

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Yeah, the half dollar is clad, the dollar is 90% and I have no interest in these coins. They probably would grade 67 to 68, so not worth getting graded.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  8. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

I'll take photos a little later. The reason I ask is the mintage is so high on these coins and it seems there is little interest.

The clad Proof half dollar has mintage of about 6.8 million and the 90% Proof dollar has a mintage of about 6.4 million.

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The dollars both proof and uncirculated which are silver are so common they go for melt value. The half's unfortunately are also super common and while a nice design don't go for very much either in that you'd probably be better off spending them than trying to sell them.

The dollars have the same specs as Morgan/Peace dollars so current spot $13.04 x 4 =52.16 meaning your daughter made out pretty well even better if you include the +$2 for the halfs

Michael K and ron_c like this.
  10. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

11. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I agree. They made some that were just normal copper-nickel clad, and some that were 90% silver. How to tell the difference is the rims. I'm not sure if you are talking about original packaging or not, but if the packaging allows you to see the rim, if it looks all silver, its 90%, if it looks like to things of lighter colored silver metal and brown layer in the middle it's just clad. In both cases I'd keep them.

12. SorenCoins

If you wanted to sell, you could still get good money. If they are in the original packaging, the 1986 Prestige Set they still go for around 30-50$. If not original packaging you could sell it all at a discounted price a little below spot and someone will pick them up.

Michael K likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Ebay prices (excluding some outliers) are in the $18-$27 range for these sets. After fees/shipping costs these sets are basically selling for melt. So if you are looking to sell, then melt (plus/minus $1-$2) is about the most I would expect.

Here is what I assume you have (picture from ebay):
    [​IMG]

SorenCoins, ron_c and Michael K like this.
  14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There are no commemorative dollars that are made of clad, they have been 90% silver in the specs of the Morgan/Peace dollars since the mint began minting them in 1983. For the half dollar commems started again in 1982, there have been only two 90% silver coins. Which are the very first 1982 Washington and the 1993 Bill of Rights every other modern commemorative half dollar issue is clad.

FBLfinder likes this.
  15. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

ddddd, that's what they look like. Coins in round plastic capsules, the genuine imitation velvet box, paper work, which has the specs and composition of the coins, etc and blue cardboard boxes.

Due to age and my daughter doesn't care for the coins, I have sold all my toned Morgans, and am selling, what few coins are left.

16. SorenCoins

Yeah that sounds more likely, I was thinking this:
    upload_2017-10-28_20-43-45.png
    (picture from River City Coins and Jewelry).

17. SorenCoins

Yea thats right. Haha.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Long-term "hold," and keep them as a set. Not all examples were marketed in sets, and sets have been broken up steadily during the TPG age for individual grading. PCGS alone shows thousands of grading events for both denominations. But their only value is in the long term.

SorenCoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted