Value of a 1922 $10 Gold Certificate?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by claygump, Mar 11, 2011.

1. claygump

claygump New Member

I know nothing about paper. Can any of you folks offer a estimate on the value of this $10 Gold Certificate from 1922? Much thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Yes..indeed we can try to help you..

You have a Series 1922 $10 Gold Note portraying Michael Hillegas. He along with George Clymer was responsibile for the production and distribution of Continental Currency.
    The Note you have is common and in a rather heavily used condition. There were 2 series printed a 1097 and a 1922. The earlier issues of the 1922 notes have smaller Serial numbers as did the 1907 Series.
    Also the 1922 Series has letter H or K as yours indicates the "H". Hope this helps you some.

Whoops!! forgot to add that 147,100,000 notes were printed with Large Serial Numbers.

Look at www.ha.com for recent pricing.

RickieB

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The grade on this one is very ruff!! would give it a Fine-12 at the top heavy creasing not sure
    If that,s a tear on the middle boarder? or not hard to tell? would put the value between $75-$85
    Per Green sheet guidelines.

5. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

It should be worth what a $10 in gold coin from that era is worth but the government broke it's promise, just like they'll break more in the future.

6. claygump

claygump New Member

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I was just curious. Looks like mpcusa is pretty close cause it up to $76 on ebay. It is in pretty rough condition.

Thanks!

7. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

I've been looking for one of these lately... found one PMG 35 at a local show for $95.

8. claygump

claygump New Member

QUICK FOLLOWUP: Sold for $100.

9. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Too high. Would have never bought it in that condition for that price. I'm thinking VG+-low Fine grade.

10. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

i thought i read owning gold certs was illegal?..

11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

It was, from 1933 to 1964. But plenty of them survived anyway, either because they were outside the country or because somebody just didn't turn them in.

There was an interesting story in Coin World a while back about the reason the ban was lifted. Apparently in 1964 the Secret Service showed up to confiscate three gold certificates that a banker had been showing off to his friends...and the banker didn't like that, so he called up his Senator and got the regulations changed so that he could keep his collection! Sometimes you've just got to know the right people.... :rolleyes:

Legoman1 and NOS like this.
  12. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

Oh ok thanks for the info!

13. H808

H808 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Could anyone tell me what they think mine is worth? Thanks!! :)

Legoman1 likes this.
  14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice note, except for the stains.
    Without the problems, I'd guess about $500-$600. In it's current condition, about $300-$400, maybe less.

15. H808

H808 New Member

Great thanks!

16. ATAT

ATAT New Member

I have a note in the same condition as H808 above but it is a star note.

Any idea on value?

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

You will probably get better responses if you start your own thread and include photos.

Chris

18. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

Looks like an XF, but with stains. If it net graded to VF, dealer bid/ask was $180/200 in August (my most recent green sheet). If you caught a net XF, numbers jump to $320/350.

19. Khaoboi333

Khaoboi333 New Member

I've got one of these too. What's the easiest way to sell for the best price? thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted